Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2004 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Hello everyone, Do any of you, as a result of the course of your work, have detailed familiarity with the recent changes under EC Directive 2000/56, effective from 30th September 2003. I have spoken with the DfT who oversee the implementation of this regulation and it seems that vehicles previously exempt from fitment of tachographs have been brought into scope of the taco. regs. - "The Community Drivers' Hours and Recording (Amendment) Regs 1998". It would seem that due to a change in the wording from - "Goods Vehicles" to "vehicles that carry goods" some vehicles have a Gross Vehicle Weight high enough to take the potential Gross Train Weight (GTW or maximum combined weight) over the 3.5 tonnes critical weight - ie when towing a trailer. Apparently - almost any 4x4 vehicle with rear seats with a trailer in tow will require a tacho. to be fitted unless the vehicle is only used within a 50 km (31 ml) radius of its base or one or other of the various exemptions I won't go into here. For a vehicle that falls outside the taco. regs due to one of the exemptions they will then come within the scope of the "Domestic Drivers Hours Regs" requiring detailed records of driver and vehicle details to be kept. Have any of you out looked into or maybe dealt with this recent change and its implications - I'd like it if you could share your experiences if you have. Benedict.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2004 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray Yes, you are correct vehicles used in the course of a business, hire or reward with a gross train weight over 3.5 tonne will require tachograph recording equipment. Classic example range rover towing a trailer with a car on it from one car sales garage to another or from a car auction to a place of sale will require recording equipment or records to be kept. This information has been obtained from one of my Tachograph officers.