Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KEVIN CHARLES BRADBURY
We are as a department currently involved in an audit on health and safety and listed below are a view of the questions asked. I am responcable for a number of employees who work in different locations and have store rooms that they use daily, for example, toilet cleaners and caretakers.
1. Is the H&S law poster displayed or leaflets issued?
2. Is the certificate of employers liability insurance displayed?
3. Is the company H&S policy displayed?
4.Where they apply are the following notices displayed.
1,PUWER.
2,Flammable substances.
3,Electric shock traetment.
4,Noise at work regs.
5,chip regs.
6,COSSH whta you should know.
7,fire and emergency procedures.
8,fire plan.
9,First aid appionted person.
10,Manual lifting.
the advise i ask is one do i have to display the palacards that are relevant in every single store room or office that the staff use and secondly what is the ligality surrounding the displaying of signs
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
My what a lot of questions, I will give you the answers to the first 3.

1. Its up to you wether you display the poster or give the leaflet to employees, however the leaflets cost about £5 for 25 and the poster is £7.50 so it may be more cost effective to display the poster (don't forget to fill in the boxes in the second and third columns).

2. Yes employers liability insurance should be on display.

3. The Health and Safet policy should be "brought to the attention" of employees, give a copy to each employee or display one in the staff room etc.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Kevin.

The following should be on display, either for mandatory purposes or to comply with other requirements:

The H&S law poster (or leaflets issued to each employee which should prefersable be signed for upon receipt). Mandatory requirement.

The certificate of employers liability insurance. Mandatory requirement.

The company H&S policy displayed (no legal requirement to display but considered best practice, to disseminate information on the policy to all employees and others likely to be effected!

Fire and emergency procedures and fire plan must be displayed (preferably in all rooms which are normally occupied).

First aid appointed person must be displayed (but preferably, unless you have very few personnel, there should be first aiders in preference to appointed persons)

Notices consening: PUWER, Flammable substances, Electric shock treatment, Noise at work, CHIP, COSSH, Manual handling. These should be displayed in areas where the activities take place routinely, for example, a workshop undertaking electrical works, or otherwise could be in communal area used by all employees... Whilst display of these in the most part is not mandatory (with limited exceptions for some I think...Elecricity?) It is considered best practice.

Of course if you are being audited, it rather depends on who is auditing you? If a Client or Customers premises are involved and your there as, for example, a facilities management contractor, the Client or Customer may require these to be displayed, in which case you would need to comply. Ditto for an employer, if this is specified as part of the H&S policy and procedures ect.

The audit should be based on (1) H&S compliance requirements and, (2) the policy and procedures of the company or employer carrying out or for whom the audit is being carried out, and should really explain if the items asked for are mandatory requirements (e.g. requirements for compliance or to meet the policy and procedures in force), or are (3) best practice that should be observed.

Non-complaince as with (1) above will need, obviously, to be actioned. (2) will need to be actioned for comliance with the policy and procedures of the Client, Customer, Employer etc, however (3) if included in an audit report, should be included as recommendations if there are no comliance issues as with (1) and (2) above.

I would suggest you speak to the auditor or Client, Customer or Employer rep who has organised the audit if in doubt and ask what status the audit items (which should preferably be numbered or referenced) have in respect of compliance requirements.

Apart fropm the obvious this will assist you with actioning the items required, and if necessary, on other issues, taking the matter forward to obtain approval, consent, finance to purchase to meet requirements ect...

Hope this helps...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2004 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pope
Kevin - a question that totally flummoxed me when I first started in H&S.

So I rang an inspector and said what signs must be displayed on a construction site ?

The inspector mentioned the certificate of employers liability (which must be in every workplace of the employer) and the What you should know (which can be downloaded from the HSE website)

No other signs are needed other than those you have identified as necessary because of your risk assessment. So for the cleaners I am involved in we give information to them in safety talks 3 x per year.

If you really want to shine (forgive the pun) then ask the British Institute of Cleaning Science for advice about suitable talks. I have had years of experience posting signs - and years of disappointment that no one reads them !

I think the safety signs regs suggest that signs are necessary where there are risks that remain after all reasonable attempts have been made to reduce them.

Regarding awareness of the H&S policy this is a legal duty, but it is up to you to come up with a good way of doing this; Some of my customers use a leaflet which summarises the relevant bits of the policy.