Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I have (probably a naive) question, regarding the use of a company pool car. The problem briefly is this. Had a complaint that the pool car had 2 bald tyres, wiper blades were not working etc etc.. We had the car fixed, no issues – when I asked to see the procedure for the use of the car, I was told (politely and with a generous smile) if you get typing, you’ll have one! Now, I’m never one to shy away from writing new procedures (especially as I get to implement and manage them!) but I find I know very little about company pool cars. (Well, cars in general actually…) Has anyone any experience with company pool cars? I have some ideas about what procedures I should implement, but I’m concerned about: Who checks the car to ensure it’s in working order before it goes out? Is a simple checklist ok and should the staff member about to use the car perform this, raising any problems before the car is driven away? I know this sounds very simple, but if I was looking at my car … I know I wouldn’t have a clue on things like tyres etc… Thanks in advance… Chris
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston As far as I am aware, if you drive a vehicle with bald tyres, you are responsible and it is you the police will issue the fine/points to. Our policy makes it clear to employees that it is their responsibility to check the car over (tyres, water, windscreen wash etc) prior to driving off. In addition for hire cars, we make it clear that the driver is responsible for familiarising himself with the vehicle prior to driving off (eg indicators, gears, lights etc etc). Included in this policy is the use of mobiles, what to do if you break down or have an accident, carrying passengers, driving hours and rest, etc. We also ensure that our cars are maintained and serviced correctly, thus reducing the risk of bald tyres etc. Shane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun allport Chris, The driver of the vehicle is always responsible in the eyes of the Law, as you would be for your private car........ if you require a company checklist please email me directly regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Not so sure that I agree with the philosophy on the driver being solely responsible. I am involved in setting up a policy on the Management of Road Risk (MORR) and pool cars are included. We have taken the stance that we are legally bound to provide safe equipment (HASAW) and to maintain it (PUWER). We are therefore putting in a system of inspecting the obvious parts for wear and tear after every use and we are insisting that any defects found during use are reported. The new user also has a responsibility to check the vehicle prior to use and not to use it if in doubt about its serviceability. Bit long winded but necessary I think, unless there is someone who disagrees.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2004 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun allport "Splitting hairs" under PUWER definitions private cars are not covered by the regs, it is questionable even though it is a company car, is it or can it be classed as private? the regs do not clarify this, however, in the event of an incident both the driver and the registered owner would be liable, the insurance companys involved would contribute major part of negligance to the Driver at the time, it is there easy route
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2004 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Thanks for all the responses. I have decided that I will implement a process whereby the driver will check the vehicle to a certain level - i.e.. Washer Bottle, Windscreen wipers, fuel, Oil, Tax disc etc - we will ensure that the vehicle is regularly inspected and maintained by a qualified mechanic (chosen by our leasing company). My process will be to ensure that the last person that uses the car, leaves it in a state where the next person can comfortably use it. We will perform a thorough check once the car is returned, and action any problems that have been raised by the previous driver before the car is allowed out again. Thanks again for all people who sent me checklists and policy documents - it was a massive help! Chris
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2004 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin George Chris Do not forget to remind the staff that it is a fact that the driver of the vehicle is responsible for the state of that vehicle under the eyes of the law, and stating that a risk assessment was performed wont help either. Therefore any legal defects with the vehicle are the responsiblity of the driver. Also the driver is NOT responsible if passengers over the age of 14 decide not to wear a seat belt. Cheers Kelvin
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Thanks Kelvin, yes have updated my documentation to reflect your comments. Cheers, good weekend all. Chris
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2004 19:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd You may also like to note that legislation is proposed that will make the directors of the company, or the transport manager, responsible in the event the driver cannot be identified. ie: for speeding offences et-al. You may like to have the car logged-out to each person as they become responsible for it.