Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter I had (wrongly as it turns out) assumed that the Factories Act 'bit the dust' with the introduction of PUWER and LOLER. I see that the proposed Work at Height Regulations will repeal section 24 (Teagle openings and similar doorways)of the Act! Can anyone tell me definitively whether any other Sections of the old Act still remain in force? (p.s. 'teagle' doesn't appear in many modern concise dictionaries. For younger members, this is the term for the large door openings which appear on upper storeys of warehouses etc,used to hoist goods up to upper storage levels and can still be seen in old buildings alongside canals, older warehouses etc.)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 12:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shane Johnston Learn something every day.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 16:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I'm pretty sure boilers and their examinations are still in there, though someone may correct me. One of my acquaintances in HSE keeps a chart of the remaining bits, and I think there are four or five Sections still in play but can't recall the details. Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2004 21:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Audrey Silver The following sections of the Act are currently still in place: (response to my query to the HSE last year) Part 1 10A Employment Medical Advisor and medical examinations 11 Power to require medical supervision Part 2 24 Teagle openings and similar doorways 31 Precautions with respect to explosive or inflammable dust, gas,vapour or substance 39 Precautions as respects water-sealed gasholders 56 Application of Part II to Scotland Part 3 62 Welfare regulations Part 5 (or should this be 6 - my note) 117 Exemptions from provisions regulating hours of employment 119 Power of inspector to require certificate of fitness for work Part 7 121 Tenement factories?other provisions 122 Parts of buildings let off as separate factories?other provisions 123 Application of Act to electrical stations 124 Institutions 125 Docks, etc 126 Ships 127 Building operations and works of engineering construction Part 10 137 Notice of occupation of factory, and use of mechanical power 140 General registers 141 Preservation of registers and records Part 11 153 Provisions as to county and district councils 154 Prohibition of disclosure of information Part 12 155 Offences 158 Fine for offence by parent 162 Proceedings against persons not primarily liable 163 Owner of machine liable in certain cases instead of occupier 166 Special provisions as to evidence 167 Proceedings for offences in respect of the employment of children 169 Power of county court or sheriff to modify agreements 170 Power of county court or sheriff to apportion expenses 171 Application of the Arbitration Act 1996 Part13 172 General application 173 Application to Crown 174 Mines and quarries Part14 175 Interpretation of expression "factory" 176 General interpretation 178 Certificates of birth 180 Regulations, rules and orders 181 Substitution of corresponding provisions for certain provisions of Factory and Workshop Act 1901 182 General application to Scotland 183 Transitional provisions and repeals 184 Construction of references in other enactments to factories and workshops, etc and exclusion of certain provisions of Public Health London) Act 1936 185 Short title, commencement and extent SCHEDULE 6 Transitional provisions
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2004 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee Section 31 was revoked by DSEAR
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2004 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones Reminds me of Millers Flaps - would they be classified as "similar doorways"?