Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Taylor We have a number of forklift drivers provided by a local agency. Most of these turn out to be effecient and effective drivers - some joing as full time members of staff. Recently though we have had 2 'drivers' who have been clealry dangerous on site and we have had them changed by the agency. Two questions arise - (1)do we have a duty of care to report the poor driving performance specifically to the agency (2) does anybody have a procedure for thorough vetting of drivers before starting on site OR does anybody know of a vetting procedure that agency employers should and do use in this case many thsnk Martin
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun allport Martin, you are required by MHSAW 1999 even though you do not employ these drivers direct for thier safety and to others. A copy of thier FLT certification is required, as this proves thier competence and also indicates the level of FLT they to drive. Warning! do not rely on 3rd parties for your obligations hope this of use
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2004 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vince Craze Yes fully agreed, you shouldn't take it for granted that an operator is qualified and competent. After you've checked his license keep a copy, if he's dangerous in your opinion you have the issuing bodies details. I'd report him for reassessment. As a forklift/plant instructor myself, if someone let me know that a person I'd issued a license to was out there with his hat and spurs on I'd be grateful after all the instructor/assessors name is on that ticket. We have a moral and legal duty to get these cowboy operators not just of our premises but out of the cab. There is no give in a forklift/plant they'll kill a pedestrian every time Also if an agency supplied me with an uncertified operator I'd report them as well.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2004 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Hello Martin A forklift operator is issued a certificate of competence which in theory means they are competent to drive and operate the vehicle they have been tested on. The Company employing them must give them written authorisation to operate on the site/factory. This authorisation can be removed at any time by the management if they consider the operator to be unsafe. The management must also ensure that the operator has information and instruction on site specific hazards. So in your case I would carry out an assessment on each driver and decide whether you consider him to be safe or not, and take the appropriate action I would recommend L117 and HS(G)6 to you these cover use of fork lifts and operators. Hope that this helps.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2004 12:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee Agency workers should be given an induction when they arrive on site and I would suggest that this should include: a check on training history & sight/copy of certificate (including use of attachments etc.) familiarisation with the layout of the premises, the work to be carried out, site rules etc an assessment of operation of LT to confirm ability to operate LT safely written authorisation to operate LT for the duration of work on site Agency LT operators will require supervision as do occupiers LT operators. If there any serious doubts about safety of an agency operator I agree that the agency should be informed (pref in writing)+ turf them off site asap !