Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Dicker In January this year the HSE wrote a letter to all local authorities basically placing a ban on manual handling of kerbstones over 20kg - I thought that the Manual Handling Regs required an assessment taking into account the Load, Task, Individual, and Environment rather than a limit being imposed by the enforcing authority! This will come into effect and be enforced for new build work by June 2004 and for spot repairs/maintenance by December 2004. Therefore, all kerb handling work involving lifting must be mechanised by those dates. Most contractors in the civil engineering industry use equipment such as vacuum lifters which are effective on flat surfaces. However, I am wondering how other local authorities have broached this question, and in particular what equipement is used for handling kerbing and paving slabs on steep inclines of which there are many in my authority? Some sharing of best practice would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2004 22:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Caboche Geoff, I would look at some of the kerb lifters supplied by Parker Merchanting (to name one source) which I have bought to aid kerb layers. Other tools which may be of use to you are concrete sleeper lifters for railway use. These suggestions are not total mechanisation but lifting aids, but can be catagorised as control measures in a risk assessment, as they require team lifting techniques, and should bring the loads towards the ACOP guidelines. HSE guide HSG 149 gives a good heads up for this issue and highlights use of sack trucks as a solution thought up by the kerb layers themselves Mind you they could always manufacture smaller kerb stones.......
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2004 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joel Benham Geoff We have been looking at this problem for a while now. Our main concern is dealing with dropped kerbs or crossovers. Large granite edge kerb has to be dug out, it's bed lowered and the kerb replaced. We've considered a range of options (list is not exhaustive)e.g. -use grab lorries -Replacing the kerb with lighter granite setts (in non conservation areas) -Breaking kerb down to specified, lighter sizes - Kerb lifters , sack barrows, etc... - Job rotation so that workers are not exposed to constant "heavy" work - Manual handling training - Task analysis to identify the easiest / safest way to do the job, etc... Each of these has problems, though. For example grab lorries can't always get close enough because of parked cars or road configurations. Sack barrows can't be used on narrow pavements because the dug out gradient behind the kerb is too steep. We have not found one all-encompassing mechanical aid for this task. I am now thinking along the lines of an adapted sack barrow to give improved mechincal advantage. I shall watch this thread closely in the hope of enlightenment...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Dickens Geoff, You could speak to the construction health and safety group in Chertsey. I am aware that they have ben involved in a working group with the HSE and Loughborough university looking at manual handling, and I know that they have specifically looked at kerbs in some detail.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 March 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Samantha Fisher We are trying to look at it as much as possible from a CDM point of view. it should be reviewed at design stage to see what other options are available. Extruded kerb is an option but there is always an issue with line and level. There are also some options on the market that are lighter. Envirokerb is one which also helps with recycling targets if you have any. At least one manufacturer is in the process of developing a shorter kerb with a cut out that is back filled with concrete when laid but I can't remember the name. (25kg kerb already available but 20kg being designed.. I think)