Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2004 22:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington I am the HS chap for the largest social landlord in England and Wales. A practice that includes some 60 000 tenancies and a resident population of some 150 000 people. I have to make choices and decisions on a regular basis. However, following the HS chap who worked for Fatty Arbuckles and was unreasonably sent to prison I am thinking about wimping out and taking the easy option. I have been asked to consider a man made pond on a council estate and to undertake a RA. I think that for small children under the age of three they would not be able to gain access to the pond due to the 750mm picket fence and really this is the client group one is most concerned about when considering a pond. It is covered by a sturdy metal mesh. And I think that this pond adds to the quality of life for those that live on this estate. My gut feeling and experience tells me it is acceptably safe however, if I sign a document saying so and then a combination of factors occur that lead to the death of a child then I could be held liable. It would be so much easier to have the pond filled in. This really is not my HS philosophy, but I am tempted. Help, advice and moral suppport gratefully recieved.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2004 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston Hey David, As health and safety practitioners, I believe we all want the same things (I hope): to make this world a safer place and to make a difference. I personally believe that what ever I "sign", I have given my all in making sure I have thought of all avenues of potential harm to others. If there is a disasterous outcome to my acts, I would hope it is purely because of a sequence of events I could never have planned for. After all, as Geoff Bilton of Zurich Municipal at a recent IOSH meeting quoted, "Outcome is often dependant on chance". It would be terrible if a young child were to suffer or even be killed if you decide to go ahead with a pond, but what if you were to build a swing park and a very different series of events came to light to cause a fatality of a child? In the same breath I think of when I play with my own 3 year old in the swing park, just what if.... There will always be someone who wants to "blame" a single person when a fatality occurs, and increasingly so in this day and age as we are a nation of "civil liability junkies". I have recently taken a keen interest in a particular case: John Tomlinson v Congleton Borough Council [2003], found here..... http://www.golds.co.uk/a..._trespassers_feb2004.htm This case emphasises the fact that some things are just meant to be, tragic as it is. I'm not sure if I am helping here, nor can I say what to do, but we just can't plan for every single disaster that WILL happen at some stage. All we can do is try our very best to make sure we think of every eventuality we can. That's my bit anyway, I hope it has helped in some sort of way and good luck with whatever you decide. Very best regards John
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2004 10:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bev Hi David I fully understand your concerns. However, with the fence and the mesh, it seems as if the risk is controlled, providing the fence and mesh remain in place. Is there someone who would regularly check this (ie on a weekly drive past they could stop and look) just in case vandals messed around with it? If so, I would have thought that everything had been done to make it safe, short of filling it in. Everything has a risk involved to it - you can't remove stairs from all your properties and the very young and very old are at particular risk here. You have controlled the risk without being a total "party pooper", so you should feel quite reassured by that. In short, my advice would be: keep the pond and keep the controls. If you can't keep the controls (vandals etc), lose the pond. Best wishes.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I agree completely with John. Making an assessment of 'low risk' does not imply 'no risk', just that it's that much less likely to occur. We all make decisions of this kind every day, after all. Surely the important thing is not to carry out tasks for which one isn't competent? Not suggesting that applies to you, of course! The pond risk assessment isn't too difficult for a competent person. The blame element would no doubt arise if either a) you rated it as a lower risk than it clearly was - i.e. even joe public would have thought it was dangerous - or b) somebody decided to ignore the precautions you feel necessary on the grounds (say) of cost or expediency. I haven't seen any cases of inadequate risk assessment being pursued against the individual who carried it out - but others may know of one, of course. Hope this helps, Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2004 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood The case I believe you refer to was a clear example of someone failing in their basic duty, not doing what they were paid to do, and as a result someone died. An almost identical incident had happened previously. If he had done anything to prevent a recurrance then he would likely have escaped this fate. I thought he had just been fined though, not jailed, but either way, he got what was coming to him. I would not allow such a case to colour my judgement though, since I approach my job with due dilligence at all times, as I am sure we all do. I don't see the problem here. If you do a valid risk assessment and put in the necessary controls, including regular inspections, and make it low risk, then you have done what can be done, and fulfilled your legal duty. There is no such thing as a no-risk activity, except for being already dead that is. In the case of tragedy they will always look to blame someone - it saves them from examining their own behaviour.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2004 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical Alec, God forbid you should ever make a mistake! I would suggest you are viewing the case in question very simplistically and interestingly one wonders how familiar you are with it. Nobody died, but an individual was badly burned, but you are correct in that the safety adviser was fined and not jailed. In light of David's concerns, one must also wonder what effect this prosecution will have on the profession - will we resort back to the rule book approach so that we make sure we are covered? I would suggest that is hardly a professional approach to improving health and safety! Unfortunately, those charged with enforcing the law only see things in terms of black and white, the reality is actually very grey. I think as safety practitioners we need to be very careful before we condemn the actions of fellow professionals - can we all be sure that we have covered all of the bases every time we review something from a safety perspective? After all, we are all human with human failings! With regard to the initial question, I don't see any problems with what you are suggesting David - the key to this is negligence, if you carry out the risk assessment negligently you will be culpable. Regards, Andy
Admin  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2004 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser David, Along with the other respondents I have a certain sympathy with what you say, but we need to apply a sense of proportion. The "risk" to you as a signatory must involve the test of reasonableness, especially in whether a subsequent injury or fatality was forseeable, given the amount of information available and the circumstances involved at the time. Despite the increasing media hysteria regarding a compensation culture gone wild, evidence from the courts suggests this is not actually the case and we have seen a number of high profile "no win - no fee" set ups failing spectactuarly as the real world hits the fanciful head on. I agree with the previous comment in that it comes down to the competence involved in the decision-making process. If you are reliant on the subject knowledge and professionalism of your advisors (construction, architectural, H&S) then once everyone has had a go at it, the best outcome should follow. The only threat would be where an obvious commercial aspect takes precedence over safety considerations. A good point was that the continuing suitability of the fencing needs to be monitored to ensure that your control measure remains effective. Other than that, if you have said your piece, applied your knowledge and experience and come to what you regard is a suitable result, there will be no problem. Now or in the future.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2004 14:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Philosophical, just to set the record straight regarding the Fatty Arbuckles case, a 17 year old employee was fatally electrocuted by a plate warmer whilst he was deck scrubbing a wet floor. http://www.ehn-online.co.../EpVFplkpkpnYboWbzF.html
Admin  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2004 22:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Chaps thanks for the responses; I was clearly having a weak moment yesterday. The outcome of this is that the pond stays and that an inspection regime has been established. Dealing with a few points of your postings. Peter Lee is quite correct, a young lad was electrocuted. What is interesting in this case is that the safety chap who is to the best of my knowledge still in prison was employed for food hygiene purposes and he carried out those duties. What happened was that when the solicitors were looking for someone to prosecute the firm had gone into liquidation and the safety chap was the last one standing (very short summery), and so it was determined that he was culpable. I personally strongly disagree with this line. Sean Fraser makes the point on PL claims. I can confirm that with 150 000 tenants plus visitors we only have some 10 PL claims lodged against us and at least half of these are spurious and defendable. Once again thanks for your help in this. Regards David.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee David, I was at the Yorkshire IOSH Branch meeting recently, where the EHO Manager who took the prosecution on behalf of Lincoln council gave an overview of the Fatty Arbucles case. As for him being employed as a Food officer he was responsible for both Food / Health and Safety for the company but decided to concentrate primarily on food issues. Just to further set the record straight Mr Helmrich was not sent to prison.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2004 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Hello David. I carried out a RA last year relating to a pond that had a perimeter fence and the steel mesh in place. The outcome of the RA was that the pond should be filled in and grassed over. Depending on the size of the pool, there is not a manufacturer of the mesh that will state it will not sink below the level of the water when a weight is applied. Various types of the mesh are held in place by various means, the larger ponds tend to have mesh that is propped up at predetermined points, which in my opinion offered a false sense of security, smaller ones relied on the strength of the structure itself, which collapsed when a weight was applied. Regarding the fence, this acted as a challenge to the younger people who would, with monotonous regularity climb over it to gain access to the pool. Good luck!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 March 2004 18:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Extract from recent Newsletter There is an increasing feeling in the UK that someone is to blame for most accidents, and should be sued subsequent to any mishap. It’s known generally as the ‘blame and claim’ culture. So would an action against the landowner succeed? This was the question that arose recently in the case of Tomlinson v Congleton Borough Council. At a local authority-owned country park, an 18-year-old male dived too steeply into a lake, breaking his neck and rendering him a tetraplegic. The Court of Appeal judged the man to be a trespasser, having ignored clear ‘No Swimming’ signs. Nevertheless, it held that he was owed a duty of care by those in control of the land under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1984 in respect of any risk arising from the state of the premises, things done or omitted to be done on them. The court went on to find that not enough had been done to obviate that risk, and the duty had been breached. As a result, the Court of Appeal decided in favour of Mr Tomlinson, i.e. the authority was liable for his injuries. The authority appealed to the House of Lords, which overturned the decision and unanimously decided that there is a balance between care for one’s neighbours and the risks inherent in our world. Having that balance in mind, the authority was not liable for Mr Tomlinson’s injuries, however sympathetic the Court felt towards him. The House of Lords said clearly that: “It is not and should never be the policy of the law to require the protection of the foolhardy” It appears that good sense has prevailed, in a world where all too often it seems to be lacking and the ‘nanny state’ has accordingly been dealt a body blow by this judgement. Furthermore, an occupier who takes reasonable steps to prevent an injury to adults from a danger arising from the state of the premises, and puts up proper warning of it, will usually be safe from a claim for damages from an irresponsible trespasser.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 18 March 2004 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston Incidentaly Geoff, even though there was signage up for "no swimming", indicating that swimming will not be tolerated, there was in fact a life jacket posted not 20 yards from that very sign! This is indeed a very sad case. Regards John
Admin  
#14 Posted : 19 March 2004 01:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Geoff, As I read this posting I immediately thought of this recent precedent. Good article if I say so myself. Ray
Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2004 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Yeah, Yeah.