Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2004 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark W Stapley Hi All, I wonder if anyone could help with this one. We have been asked to introduce a 'zero accident policy' and aim to achieve it! My question is, is this realistic / achievable? I know the obvious answer is yes, however, what I'm interested in is a strategy on how we can get there, any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has achieved / tried this (not by the introduction of incentive schemes which I believe suppresses reporting) and would like to share their experience I would be more than happy to discuss (contact email address above). Just a little background on our company, we are a multi-national organisation, however, our sector of the company is based on two sites in the UK. We are a very labour intensive industry employing approximately 10,500 people plus a large number of contractors in low, medium and high hazard / risk activities. Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2004 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes Mark I have E mailed you direct. Regards Kelvin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2004 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie Hi Mark you have to be very careful with this one, especially as you have so many employees and various levels of risk. If pressure is put on managers and supervisors what will happen is that accidents will not be reported and you will get a false picture as to accident trends etc etc. The first thing you will know is when a solicitor's letter turns up on your desk for a claim that you know nothing about. good luck Jim Mackie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser A zero accident policy needs to be supported by a pro-active management system and some means of ensuring the right attitudal behaviour is encouraged. Pro-active - nice words, but what does it mean in practice? Education and training. And not just in H&S - everything. By understanding what they do, people understand why they do it that way and more importantly, how it can be done better and safer. I could go on for hours on this, ad naseum, so I won't bother. I'd be happy to pntificate in email though if you want more thoughts on the subject. And safe bahaviours? You could look at implementing a Safety Observation System like the DuPont STOP (Safety Training and Observation Programme). This has the dual benefit of recording unsafe situations and encouraging safer bahaviour through understanding. Like all things though, it is not a magic bullet and is only as good as the way it is set up and the commitment all the way through the organisation. For a general grounding on SOS, try the following documents on the Step Change website - "Changing Minds" and "Look this way - Safety Observation System Guidelines" as a starter: http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm There is little point in establishing a policy that sounds good - the actions WILL need to match the words. As for a strategy, I would commend either HSG65, OHSAS18001 or BS8800 as references for establishing an effective Safety Management System. A thorough review of where you are now is a start, and can be used as a basis for a gap analysis in which to identify shortcomings or weaknesses, then work on strengthening the whole thing and subsequently seeking continual improvement. And it all starts with openess, honesty and trust!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2004 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Mark, First, should targets not be realistic and therefore attainable. Even the HSE understand that there is no such thing a zero accidents (HSE, 2001). As one respondent has already indicated by adopting a unattainable goal in the first instance, it will create a climate of under reporting. Also, such a philosophy will undermine any achievements gained thus far, and put enormous pressures on all staff. There is nothing wrong with setting targets, provided they are supported with the appropriate interventions based on understanding the nature of accidents, such as described in HSG48 and they are sustainable. Otherwise you have lost the game before you have even started it. Regards Ray
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2004 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Why would any organisation aim for zero accidents? I am all in favour of good H&S management systems and fostering a positive H&S culture but I'm not sure if zero accidents is a good thing. Taking risks is part of life and can be very enabling. How do you get to work without risk of being killed on the roads or rail? I'm not saying we shouldn't review accident figures, set targets and find ways of to continuously improve, but I am not sure I would want to be in a world with zero accidents. That world would have to be made completely our of cotton wool and would be very borring!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2004 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter John Campbell Quill Dear Mark It may be appropriate to approach this holistically. Zero accident targets stem to some extent from the success of zero defect product targets, and this also affects environmental functions who have zero pollution incidents goals. Your quality department in particular should be very familar with preventative strategies which attempt to achieve this. Having a single strategy across the board and involving a cross section of your stakeholders may prove useful. As a previous posting demonstrates you will have to be persistent and clear with you message. Accidents are a clear waste of resources and add no value to your service or products. Start small and try and get visible improvements that can be celebrated. Best regards Peter
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2004 17:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Zero accidents is quite attainable, but it takes some time to get there. We tend to advise our clients to go for 50% reduction in accident objectives year by year so as to trend towards the eventual objective of zero. We start by implementing systems of safety management as in OHSAS 18001 and then implement behavioural based safety (BBS)programmes at management and workforce levels. We have found that the classic methods of identifying and correcting unsafe acts and unsafe situations (as in STOP) are not 100% effective unless the overall safety culture is already in place (DuPont) BBS means first defining safe behaviours then recognising, rewarding and reinforcing people and groups which adopt those behaviours. Works like a charm and is much more fun. Don't kick em if they are bad ; stroke them when they are good. Merv Newman