Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2004 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darryl Could anyone shed some light on this area.Our company makes bricks and our kilns run on gas. At present we are on LPG but shortly moving to mains gas, are kilns require adjusting on a regular basis, and an engineer carries this out, does he need to be corgi registered or trained to carry out this function. The only training has been shown by an experienced person before him. I have been led to believe that when changed to mains gas, he will need the correct qualifications. Can any one help!Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2004 19:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Moughtin Darryl I'm not a exspurt but as far as I am aware if you break into a gas pipe then yes you'll need to be corgi registered, I strongly suspect this will apply in your case might be one to ask corgi, I'm sure they won't bite ! Regards Brian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2004 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Oliver hi Darryl, your mains gas supplier should be able to supply you with all the information you need. Brian is correct that the gas installation regs state that in order to carry out work on a gas fitting / storage vessel you need to hold membership of "a class of persons" approved by the HSE, CORGI are currently the only body that can supply this membership. CORGI website has links to lots of other areas and they have a technical helpline, though calls are charged at £1 min. try getting through using reception first you might save some money. Could you look at a way of automating the adjusting process within the kilns, this would then only require training on the control process without the need to interfere with gas system?, however you will need the firing system tested and inspected on a regular basis. cheers Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2004 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Thomas Firstly, it has been my understanding that ALL gas installations should be handled by a CORGI approved engineer. That it is a commercial enterprise using LPG surely has no bearing on the matter. You should be looking at HSE ACOP L56 Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances. Part F Maintenance covers Duties of employers and self-employed persons. Free advice is available from your local HSE office.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Cathy Ricketts CORGI registered gas fitters are required not only to have current registration but also to be competent in the areas they are working ie domestic, commercial, LPG, sealed systems etc. Fitters have to undergo regular competency certification tests as well as the CORGI inspection (At cost to them of course!!) Your gas fitter should be able to show you his certifcation that he is competent to work in that area of work - if his corgi card is up to date it should also show on there although there have been some problems in making sure the trainers who provide the competency training and Corgi get this information tied up. Hope this helps