Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2004 22:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran Delaney I am looking for information on the toxicity of fire smoke for a project I am underatking at University College Cork for my Diploma in safety, health and welfare at Work. All contributions greatfully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2004 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Depends upon what is burning, Ciaran, but we need to consider both toxic effects and asphyxiation. Typical contents may be: CO (unconscious after 2/3 breaths at c1.28% with death in 1-3 mins) CO2 (may lose consciousness in a few mins at c9%) Low O2 (12-16% loss of muscular coordination; 6-10% nausea vomitting, cannot move freely; <6% convulsions followed by cessation of heart function and breathing). Other toxic gases present may be: Acetic acid, Acrolein, Ammonia, Hydrogen chloride, Hydrogen cyanide, Hydrogen sulphide, Nitrogen dioxide, Sulphur dioxide, etc, etc. You can look up individual toxicities, but this will not take account of the synergistic effects. Needless to say, on top of all this we have to also consider the heat effects including damage to the brain and lung linings!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2004 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster You should find some useful information and data in the official report of the Manchester Airport aircraft fire at http://www.dft.gov.uk/st..._502609.hcsp#P788_104538