Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2004 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Our organisation provides support for people with learning disabilities. A minority of these people can be violent. Our incident/accident statistics use the term 'near miss' but this doesn't fit well with physical aggression. If someone receives a mild slap that doesn't cause an injury, you can't call this a 'near miss' because it was a direct hit!! But I wouldn't call it a 'minor injury' either - or is it? If you work in the care sector: 1. What term do you use for 'near miss'? 2. Do you define the term 'minor injury'? If so, what is your definition - does there have to be blood, bruising or prolonged pain for example. 3. What term do you use for violence on your accident reports and statistics. Do you call it 'violence', 'physical aggression', 'challenging behaviour' or something else?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2004 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott Nigel Hi - we are an NHS Trust also supporting people with a learning disability. The definitions we use are as follows: Minor - incidents where - somebody suffers no evident injury or only minor injury which necessitates no or minimal medical treatment or first aid; where some minor, but measurable financial loss is incurred through accidental or deliberate damage; where some risk is discernible through actions or threats. Near miss - incidents that did not - but could have - led to harm, loss or damage. In reporting our report forms have pick lists, one choice covers - violence, abuse or harrassment and the person completing the form is required to indicate a contributory factor. In a number of instances this contributory factor is quoted as "challenging behaviour" or "autism" or "ritualistic" to give you a few examples.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2004 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston Nigel, For stats purposes I categorise vioence in 7 ways as follows: 1) assault/abuse occasioning actual physical injury or causing distress 2) assault/abuse occasioning no physical injury or distress 3) Damage to property 4) assault to others (including family members) 5) stalking 6) animal attacks 7) threat or fear of the above The term used on your stats may depend on your safety of staff policy. I have always opted towards the term challenging behaviour as it covers a multitude of issues. I also record the number (and type of) retsraint technique used on the stats. Hope this helps Steve
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2004 22:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Nigel, these days I am BSc MIOSH etc however, I spent 12 years as a resi worker working with this and other client groups. My last HS post was within a Social Services Department, where I also kept a register of incidents. I am fairly clear that this is an assault as defined by RIDDOR "non consensual violence" is reportable if it leads to three days absence. What you need to be clear about is why you are keeping these statistics. What do you hope to achieve? Probably the most important areana is the staff meetings and the case reviews, at this point you can review your RAs and determine wheather you are set up to deal with this level of violence. Clearly you must accept that if you work with people that are likely to be violent then one will get thumped from time to time. You must aim to reduce the consequences of the act via control and restraint training, staff numbers and building design. You must decide what level of risk is acceptable to you and your staff. Until recently I had responsibility for a secure unit for young men. Our acceptable level of risk was that all staff regards of assaults should be able to go home at night. Even if this was via the hospital. In my last year with this organisation we had some 80 assaults. If the violence became more serious then we would hand the offender back to the Home Office and thence the prison system. Therefore on your RAs you must determine what level of risk you are prepaid to accept with your staffing levels. Hope this helps. Regards David.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2004 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Newby Hi Nigel I work as a health and safety advisor in one of the largest LD Trusts in the country and we have a lot of violence and aggression towards staff. We are in the process of moving towards a fully integrated risk management system, however, we currently grade incidents as either: No Injury No Lost Time Minor Time Loss Major Injury Fatal, and Multi Fatal Picking up on David's point on why we need to report. Apart from being a legal requirement we are now under further pressure to report to external agencies such as NPSA and more recently the CFSMS. I also wonder if the acceptable risk David talks about (being able to go home at night) would still afford protection to the organisation against litigation, I would imagine not. Violence in any LD setting is very difficult to manage or reduce. Granted control and restraint is a handy tool, however, it should always be seen as the last resort and other more pro-active controls should be sought. I hope this helps and would be more than happy to help further should you want to e mail me. Craig
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2004 11:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Craig the issue is "Do you provide a service or not". Clearly violence is not acceptable however, if you work with a group that are potentially violent, staff and clients will be asserted. If is a fact of life. Therefore one must ameliorate this as far as it is possible to do so. If you do not accept this level of risk then you should not be providing the service. Regards David.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 March 2004 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Craig I can't follow your responses. What is your acceptable level of risk in these circumstances? and depending on that answer: How do you defend against the possibility of litigation if some (or any) form of assault is considered acceptable? Geoff
Admin  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2004 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi folks Thanks for your help. One thing is clear - We all seem to use different terms! I like Craig's term for near miss, which is 'No Injury'. The other feedback will also be very useful. I'm not sure where this thread is going now with acceptable levels of risk. Whenever we take on new children and adults with learning disabilities, there is always some settling in - getting used to the new environment and staff getting used to the new person's idiosyncrasies. Even with the best planning, there is often aggressive challenging behaviour at the start. The important thing is that we work towards zero violence - without using extreme and abusive measures. For example, doping people senseless with drugs can eliminate violence but is cruel and is practically murdering their personality. Using excessive control and restraint is abuse. Staff being beaten up or injured is also cruel – so we have to get the balance right. We try to reduce violence with a range of measures such as better communication, staff training, behavioural support plans, adapting premises, right medication, physical intervention etc. The combination of these measures are unique for every client. However, we also need to think corporately. It is important that we know the size and nature of challenging behaviour in our organisation so we can set corporate objectives and direct our resources appropriately. Hence, the importance of getting accurate statistics - coming back to my original question.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2004 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Newby Geoff I would challenge anyone working within the LD sector to come up with an acceptable level of risk when concerning violence at work. It's not quite as straight forward as being punched on the nose by Joe public at 11:00 o'clock on a Friday night in the local A&E dept. What I do know is that we would never say the risk was acceptable if the member of staff was still able to go home at the end of the night. With regard to litigation. All front line staff are trained in C&R, however, they are also well trained in Person Centered Planning and well informed of the clients needs and capabilities. The organisation works extremely hard towards meeting client needs and protecting members of staff. That is how we protect ourselves and a recent successful case (on our part) can bear this out. Craig