Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2004 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Thompson I have been asked recently is there a standard colour for walkways in a Manufacturing plant .If Anyone had any experiance in dealing with this you might let me know . Access and Egress walkways / Pallet storeage areas / The Manufacturing plant has clearly defined walkways with red and White Tape / But the tape is been repaired monthly . Any Suggetsions
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2004 17:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Kieran, I usually reserve red and white or just red tape for emergency equipment - extinguishers, eye washes, exits ... which means that nothing may be laid down in these areas. Blue or Blue and white is for noisy areas. Hearing protection is required within such areas. Storage or lay-down areas are delimited by black tape. Walkways may be shown by white or green tape. Essential here is that they should be continuous, logical and give easy access to all areas. I have found that, sometimes, the boss's office is not accessible by following the pedestrian lanes. There is, to my knowledge, no "standard". Just be consistent and logical. Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2004 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I have not come across a standard colour scheme. In our factories we have a painted floor surface, and paint the walkways rather than delimiting the boundaries of them. Tape is a real pain to lay, and re-laying it all the time must be a nightmare! Try those little trolley things that take the spray can of marker paint to draw your lines with. They are very quick, and very easy to use, much easier than tape especally for corners. Obviously though, you can't get the paint in striped colours! Key the product code 5717302 into the Arco website to see the system I am talking about.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2004 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Irwin I don't believe there is a standard as such. I've worked in two factories where the production area and walkways were painted. In the first general work areas were green and walkways red (the idea being that materials were never to be stored on red areas). In the second the general work area was red and the walkways green (green being for safe condition). I don't think it made a great deal of difference as long as everyone knew what the colours were for.