Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2004 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Staff in controlled schools are employees of the LEA and therefore the LEA is the dutyholder under HASAWA. However under local management of schools the real power is with the headteacher. I've read the Sector Information Minute from the HSE but it seems to me that the only real teeth an LEA has is to apply to the Secretary of State for a direction that a school has to comply with its H&S directions. Take this to its logical conclusion - an LEA threatens this action, the school exercises its right to go to a different H&S competent person who gives conflicting advice...this is particularly difficult when you consider that we rely on the money from our H&S service level agreement with schools. Without this money we'd have no H&S resources at all, so there is a PR element to take into account. My LEA sure as eggs is eggs hasn't got the resources to go for legal action (which I imagine is a complex and lengthy process) every time a school fails to comply with our recommendations. And surely we can't take legal proceedings against ourselve? How do other LEAs reconcile their duty under the Act with the fact that in real life the headteachers can effectively refuse to take any steps?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2004 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Zoe No expert on this by any means, but as link H&S Governor for a primary school, I advise that the head follows every piece of LEA advice, contracts to the SLA etc. In a way, I am looking out for myself as I do wish the legal "control" to rest with the LEA, rather than the governing body! Regards Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2004 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Garioch Hi Zoe, you need to check the wording in your scheme for the delegation of funding under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. Most authorities have wording to the effect that where there is a serious health and safety risk then the authority, as employer, reserves the right to carry out the work and charge the school accounts. If your authority does not have this then I suggest you get it put into your delegation scheme. The DfES aslo sent a letter to schools and LEAs, in 2001, about health and responsibilities, you can download it from http://www.teachernet.go...lites%20and%20Powers.doc Hope this helps Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2004 19:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan There is a 1998 statement of guidance on occupational stress in schools published under the imprint of HSE Books which appears to me to reflect the principle you are raising. My understanding is that where a maintained school has neglected or refuses to fulfil its responsibilities for any health and safety matter, in the final analysis, the Chair of the Governors is, ex officio, the person responsible for accounting for any failures.