Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2004 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Chapman
The company I work for suffered a power cut last year, this affected the power to the water pumps so it couldn't pump water to all 3 floors of the building.

This obviously affected the toilets, which were basically out of action, someone suggested to use the ground floor toilets (which would have ran out of water eventually) in my eyes the company failed to provide adequate welfare facilities and staff would have been entitled to go home, now is this right???

Thanks in advance!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2004 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Paterson
Hi Craig

This is a difficult one in the fact that the company did provide facilities but due to circumstances outwith their control the power failure occurred.

Restricting the use of the toilets would have been a good idea as the facilities were still being provided but restricted.

How long was the power off for? That factor would need to be taken into account whren deciding if workforce are sent home.

The welfare regulations will give better guidance on this matter and I would like to think that all aspects and the advice of the HSE should be taken into account before any decisions are made.

This is my view that if companies are striving to maintain facilities they should be given some lee weigh into doing that.

Open to any suggestions.

Regards

Robert Paterson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2004 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craig Chapman
Thanks for your help Robert

As for how long the power cut was for it was two hours max, where can I find out what would be acceptable before we'd have to send staff home? I cant seem to find anything

Ive been here but is does not mention what would be acceptable or not

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/s...19923004_en_2.htm#mdiv21