Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 March 2004 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert S Woods
A client has had two incidents at his restaurant where customers have fallen down the steps leading to the toilet (he claims they were a “bit worse for wear”). The steps are quite steep vinyl tiled with anti slip covering on the leading edges and there is a handrail. The lighting is good and he says the steps do not get wet.

Can anyone suggest further steps (pardon the pun but I couldn’t help myself) he can take to that might prevent similar occurrences.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 March 2004 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hi there,

I had a staircase that people kept falling down and when I measured it I realised that it was really steep, the steps were far too small, there were 2 trip steps that were different in height to the other steps, etc etc.

Although it didn't comply with today's building regs (it was installed decades ago) and there was no requirement to make it comply, I had it ripped out anyway and replaced with a new staircase that does comply with today's regs. Non-slip sandpaper type stuff was also stuck on the treads.

The cost of replacing the staircase will be much much less than the potential payout from a claim.

I have e-mailed you a copy of Approved Document K which gives further details.

Regards,
Karen