Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2004 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle is it the correct way to discipline supervisors on all H&S issues even if they have had no training in basic H&S i know that ignorance is no defence.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2004 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton No, if the supervisor has had no training then you cannot seriously discipline them - this would be grossly unfair. The duty of the employer is to provide training, information, instruction and supervision in order to help the employee carry out their duties in a safe and healthy manner, if this has not been provided and the employee (in this case supervisor) has done something wrong then that must be looked on as the fault of the employer not the employee. This would be my opinion anyway Hilary
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2004 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Cottrell Completely agree with the previous response. How big is the company? What priority are H&S issues given? Is there any kind of training programme? (for managers?). If there isn't anything, then I think you could make a good case for some resources to be thrown at this. You didn't give any indication about the potential severity of the act or omission which raised the question about discipline, but in a worst case scenario, the HSE would take matters to the top of the tree in terms of accountability. You would probably stand a better chance of getting something moving if you could attach some ££££ to the cost of not doing anything! Soap-box rant over! Good luck.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2004 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie Ditto A supervisor that has not had training in all aspects of his role is not (training, knowledge and experience) competent. Therefore the employer is at fault for putting a person in a post that they are not suitable for. Make the employer aware of this, in particular with reference to the Management regs. good luck Jim
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2004 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle thanks to all who replied
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 March 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Have to agree with all your responses. If I had been confronted with this situation then I would have to ask if there was a bigger problem about to surface. An urgent skills audit would prove very usefull at this time because one could be looking at major training needs as well as a failure in the safe working system. Also discipline is not the answer to developing a good health and safety culture. Discipline one person for a safety issue and forget any willingness to co-operation in the future. Mike
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 March 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Langston Just soemthing to bear in mind if a supervisor had been warned by the employer in the first place not to undertake a task but does it anyway, or they disregard a direct instruction then surely discipline may be justified! (As this would be gross misconduct). However I have to agree that with the above, a company with low health and safety competence levels of managers is asking for trouble and the underlying causes need to be addressed immediateley. Steve