Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2004 19:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Should the rest of the UK follow the example of the ROI or is it another example of the nanny state?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2004 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd Oh well. Lets see now, the employer has a duty to protect the h/S&w of it's workers. So, it seems likely to me that a prosecution could well succeed in the case of bar and catering staff who DON'T smoke. Not so much "nanny state" since smokers are in the minority and the law doesn't stop people smoking. It's to stop NON smokers being exposed to smoke from smokers. I've already pointed out to my employer my interpretation of COSHH regulations and been told to f*ck off. But it seems to me that COSHH would effectively bar smoking if exposure of non smokers to tobacco smoke affects their health. Which it clearly does.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 March 2004 22:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Smith as a smoker, i think it is quite unfair to smokers. ban cigarettes completly, and the government will then be f****D like many other people who pay income tax, as they would then have to pay a substancial increase in tax to compensate. no one seems to mention this why dont they go the full hog and stop cooking fried foods in restaurants, after all they promote healthy lifestyles. stop people getting drunk in pubs, as that is a criminal offence for the drunken person and the person who sells it to him. shouldnt drug addicts just be shot upon conviction, as this is also socially unacceptable, they impose threats to society from the need for drug funding, stealing from households. what about co2 emissions from engine exhaust systems, shall we ban all vehicles as co2 poisoning is far superior to cigarette smoking, what about the food additives they place in fast food outlets like burger outlets, they entice and make people crave them, is this not harmfull. all the good people out their, sit back and contemplate of all the things they personally do to inflict harm on their own bodies, then take the amounts of incidences and multiply by the nations population, i wonder what is the worst, smoking or other habits. i say ban smoking, and see the income tax increases to compensate.......then see what people say
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 March 2004 23:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd You're missing the point, as usual. The "ban" is a PUBLIC HEALTH policy. YOU want to smoke, that's ok, but DON'T think you have the right to inflict damage on OTHERS because YOU have a drug habit. I pay taxes as well. I DON'T want to sit through a meal and be forced to inhale your second-hand tobacco smoke. YOU can smoke yourself to death any time you like BUT you're not smoking me to death as well. Your taxes don't give you the right to harm others.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 March 2004 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor A nanny state would stop you doing things that only harm or kill you, whereas a caring state would seek to stop you from unnecessarily harming or killing others.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 March 2004 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze Ahh GWB, but my eating of the bacon sandwich does not cause harm to you so the analogy falls down there. A definition of 'public place' would probably help the discussion no end. It probably includes the bar area where bar staff work, but does it include the local country park where the park ranger works? I personally am for the smokers right to continue smoking... subject to the none smokers right not to inhale second hand smoke and the employees right not to be exposed to harm in the workplace.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 March 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ronnie hindle as a smoker myself i think that smoking SHOULD be banned in public places, this would encourage the likes of me me to give up this horrible habit
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2004 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GWB I once had someone come up to me in a pub/restaurant and ask me to stop smoking. I was in the smoking area and he was not, the smoke was driffting over. I explained to him that I was in the correct area and so would continue to smoke. He started to get aggressive, in a verbal sense, so I casually asked him what he was standing on. He told me he was standing on his legs, so I told him to use them and go else-where if he did not like the smoke. My point been if there is something you don't like move. Everyone has a choice. To remove that choice would to infringe on the human right to freedom. He sat down and never said another word (although judging by his stares he was not happy). GWB
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 March 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JamesK Over the past two days I have been holding toolbox talks on the new regulation here in Ireland and to my surprise I have found that the vast majority of construction workers are in favour of the ban on smoking in enclosed areas. ( Including unfinished apartments etc ) Alas, I tink emlpoyers will take the approach of allowing people to smoke on site regardless of the location as people will take time away from their respective jobs and smoke elsewhere if they are stopped. COMPROMISE should have been the approach I think. Esp on sites Jim
Admin  
#10 Posted : 30 March 2004 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze GWB, On behalf of non-smokers everywhere, I would like to apologise for the behaviour of the character you have described. Based on the information you have given, you were clearly in the right and if smoking was such an issue, then the individual should have checked prior to dining. But, you raise another issue that must be tackled. When should an individuals right to choose be superceded by their responsibility to their fellow human being. Yes, you had a right to smoke. Yes the other person had a right to leave the restaurant. But what about the right of the (potentially) non smoking waiter or waitress who did not have a right to leave without forfeiting his or her employment? That is surely the issue being raised here.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 March 2004 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Forbes Hi everyone, How exactly are they going to enforce this....I don't know if I missed that part? I would welcome a ban across here - it would certainly make me look less like the old dragon that I'm turning into when I report workers for smoking in Council vehicles etc -I think it does slightly take the onus off Health and Safety personnel.....it sometimes seems more likely for staff to break company policy than the law. Although I'm a smoker too, maybe it would help me kick the dirty habit too. Tried many times and have always failed when out in the pub, boozing, and people are smoking round about me. (I think it has recently been proven that alcohol tastes much better with a fag!) Although there is something inside of me that agrees that the Government are such hypocrites, allowing us to buy the bleedin' things and taxing us heavily for the "pleasure", but not allowing us to smoke them where and when we like. Another little idiosyncrasy of the bureaucrats.......?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 30 March 2004 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews As an ex-smoker I would welcome a ban in all public places. I know first hand the harm that smoking does and inhaling tobacco smoke from someone elses cigarette is no less harmful than puting the cigarette in your own mouth. Don't get me wrong here, I agree that every smoker has the right to smoke, if they so wish to harm themselves. But when they do it in an enclosed space where there are non-smokers they deprive the non-smoker of their right to choose not to smoke and thus harm themsleves. Oh yes, smoking areas in restaurants and pubs, they rank equally with urinating areas in swimming pools. Richard
Admin  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2004 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Whatever happened to tolerance?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2004 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee I was a bit mischievous with my original posting, the "nanny state" comment was a red herring designed to stir up debate. I say ban smoking in public places, why should I (along with employees) be subject to second hand smoke. As for "tolerance", would you tolerate someone blowing asbestos in your face ?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2004 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe I don't know why non-smokers waste their time in trying to have a 'reasonable' debate with smokers. Let's face it - anyone who willingly puts their own health at serious risk as well as that of others, in my mind forfeits the right to be regarded as a 'reasonable' person.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2004 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Raymond Having read all these replies I think I need a fag! Sorry but I'm an ex-smoker who agrees with the ban. Just to add something to the mix, would employee's who have to work in a smoky environment potentially have a claim against their employers if they contract a smoking related illness i.e. Lung Cancer?
Admin  
#17 Posted : 30 March 2004 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Not only tolerance but a risk based approach to the issue. Richard - "inhaling tobacco smoke from someone elses cigarette is no less harmful than puting the cigarette in your own mouth." This statement is logically and proven to be incorrect. There is plenty of evidence to indicate a dose response relationship. Further exhaled smoke which is then inhaled by someone at a distance has less toxic content than the smoke which the smoker takes in. eg for every 25 parts of CO which is inhaled only 1 part is exhaled. There has been very little research to support the contention that passive smoking is a significant risk. I support the ROI decision that they should be concerned about eg bar staff and non-smoking customers but there has been little discussion either in ROI or in this thread of other ways of achieving this eg ventilated areas as an alternative to an outright ban. What of course may follow from this simplistic solution is that the smoker on eg a construction site may sneak off to somewhere "out of sight, out of mind" for a fly fag. Could readily result in overall risks being massively increased, eg smoking inside the metal container in which all the flammables are stored. Bang! Regards, Peter
Admin  
#18 Posted : 30 March 2004 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Geoff, it is against my better judgement that I get into a tit for tat argument with you, however as for my "emotive" posting can I draw to your attention that The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the USA has classified environmental tobacco smoke as a class A (known human) carcinogen along with asbestos, arsenic, benzene and radon gas. 1 Regards.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 30 March 2004 19:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Nothing to do with tit for tat Peter. I consider it to be an emotive statement. If you can back it up I'll be the first to apologise. If safety professionals make statements comparing occasional passive smoking to asbestos being blown in a persons face then as a group we lose our credibility.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 30 March 2004 19:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe Geoff, My comment was not a reply to your question about tolerance - it was comment relative to the debate as a whole. I enjoy a beer or two now and then. If I were to subject people to my 'used' beer in a public place - do you think that I should be 'tolerated' as smokers who subject others to their 'used' tobacco should be as you are suggesting ? I think not -I would rightly be regarded as a menace to peoples health and well being !
Admin  
#21 Posted : 30 March 2004 19:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Sorry Paul, probably a bit quick of the mark there. But the point remains that nowadays large numbers of people are looking for things to be offended by and will go out of their way to be offended by them. Hence my comment on tolerance.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 30 March 2004 20:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd http://www.roycastle.org/kats/facts_seci.htm http://www.bhf.org.uk/smoking/default.asp http://www.newscientist....s/news.jsp?id=ns99992430 http://www.hse.gov.uk/hthdir\noframes\SMOKING.htm As I said, it's a health issue. Non-smokers health. And the passive smoker not only breathes in exhaled smoke from the smoker but also breathes in smoke that is emitted from the burning tobacco and not inhaled by the smoker. There is more than enough evidence that second hand smoke is damaging to non smokers, not only does it cause *ME* to have problems breathing but also increases the incidence of asthma attacks that I have. I also smell like a smoker, which I'm not. If smokers want to smoke, that isn't a problem for me. Just not near to me. You have the right to smoke, I have the right to insist you don't do it near me.
Admin  
#23 Posted : 30 March 2004 21:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle On behalf of smokers everywhere, I would state that there should be a ban on non-smokers drinking in pubs. They bring the whole place down, constantly complaining that we are killing them and moaning over a simple bit of fag ash dropped, accidentally, in their medium sweet white wine or bishops finger pint!! - whats the harm of a bit of smoke wafting across the room whilst your eating your shrimp salad sandwich??? There are of course those who object to being anywhere in the vicinity of smokers, some of course would complain about being on the same street it seems, and who will fill this thread with continual moans concerning the subject of smokers and smoking, its effects on them, how unpleasant it is, how it harms their health and quoting so called factual reports by experts on this and that and so on and so on. The answer is simple - if you really dont like smoking and if you dont like smoke in pubs - don't go into them - or find a nice little trendy wine bar somewhere where you can sit in a non smoking area. What rights has anyone to prevent us from our personal enjoyment of the occassional ciggy, irrespective if its bad for my health. You do not have to particpate by being in proximity to me - IE IN THE PUB.... I repeat here - as I have said previously, there is no more proof that so called 'passive smoking' causes cancer than it can be proved that eating burgers causes CJD - it is, at best, an assumption. Yes there are reports that contradict this view (good grant money to be had no doubt), as there are those that support it... Unfortunately there is NO ACTUAL EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT IT and I challenge anyone to provide conclusive evidence on the subject - As for cancer - yes I know its not a nice subject - but it is true that statistically more non smokers die from cancer than smokers............. There...is that controversial enough for everyone!! In reality I have found that many non-smokers who I know and are aquaintances or personal friends have no quarrel at all being in the presence of, drinking with or otherwise whilst persons are smoking. But of course I stand to be corrected and probably will be lambasted by the non smoking lobby here for stating such a thing... I do find however that those who have smoked and have given up are far more vocal on the subject than those who have never smoked - getting to you a bit is it!! So, lets look at some tonge-in-cheek ways forward here....lets examine the options.... 1) ban smoking in pubs = loss of revenue in taxes on beer/wine/spirits? - even more pubs close or go down hill? and to make up for the loss they invite all the yobs back in? = all the nice non smokers leave because of yobs and drunks? = pubs go out of bussiness? = loss of revenue?, unemployment, taxes go up? etc etc... 2) Smokers only pubs? - doing a roaring trade and full to the gunals? - all smokers happy? trade continues apace? - non smokers not happy as their pub is now smokers only and make official complaints via their local MP that they are being discriminated against? - ends up in high court/European Court of Human Rights?, non smokers win high profile case on human rights issue of discrimination? - civil war breaks out in suburbia...!!! Smokers storm Parliament and government disolved? Republic declared? Queen leaves for Australia, who refuse her entry? and royal family forced to settle in shack on island of Mustique!! 3) Brewers decide, following discrete discussions with government behind closed doors (incognito), to incorporate non-smoking bars in pubs, with air conditioning, fancy smelly spray thingys that puff out essence of brass polish and beer mats (ah the nostalga) and have highly polished glass tappas bowls (that distictly resemble irish pub ashtrays - that were) full with fresh roasted cashews - but only if Govenment agrees to reduce taxes on drinks and allows a 2p a pint increase in prices - deal done?. Smokers however complain that they should also have special toilets as smokers use the ones they have to use and regardless of the smell, they can still be killed by passive smoking...Brewers put hold on developing further non-smokers only bars in pubs, and start installing air freshner dispensers in toilets at 50p a throw - never ones to miss an opportunity the brewers!! 4) the staus quo is maintained = non smokers (those that were always unhappy about smoke in pubs) are unhappy (those that always choose to moan about it but insist on being in the thickest smoke in the bar that is - just to ensure that everyone in the pub is as miserable as them!!), but everyone remains in employment = no loss of revenue or jobs - life in the UK continues apace - more trendy non smoking wine bars open where non smokers can choose to disassociate with the riff raff smokers...but non smokers complain to MPs about loss of facilities in their local areas as more and more shops, banks, post offices and bakers shops are converted to trendy non smoking wine bars. Gays decide to open gay non smoking wine bars and the situation worsens... Vigilante non smokers start to bomb wine bars!! 5) the government legislates to control the change of use of shops to wine bars, stating that there are too many wine bars and loss of stategic amenities for local areas must be halted - two jags seizes the opportunity for a press coup by being photographed in every pub and bar in fleet street. Local Authorities challenge government in the high court on local planning issues, the Judges decide to implement a working party (now theres a contradiction in terms!) to visit wine bars and investigate the situation...some judges force the issue of pubs onto the agenda to ensure all areas of the debate are included on an equla basis and two committees are formed - wine bars and pubs... Judges state it could take some time for the committees to report....!!!!! 6) the lords meet in special session over the controversial costs arising from the standing committees instituted by the judges on wine bars and pubs. It is estimated that, to date, some £1,850,000 of revenue has been spent in the enquiry so far.... Judges on the committees were unavailable for comment.... It is reported that a number of non smokers holding a vigil outside the houses of parliament have been admitted to hospital with lung/breathing problems. It is thought that could have arisen from carbon monoxide poisoning arsising from traffic fumes - traffic at a standstill during the prolonged protests in parliament square. A spokes-person for the group said...'This never jollywell happened when we were in the pubs'..... The debate continues....
Admin  
#24 Posted : 30 March 2004 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Costelloe After reading Stuart's 1100+ word diatribe, I rest my case about the 'reasonable' person. Stuart's posting only reinforces the point about smoker's selfishness and their ramblings about their 'right' to do as they please and to hell with everyone else. To use Stuart's point of view - I enjoy motor racing - so if I want to do it on the public highway then everyone had better just stay off the road if they don't like it ! It just doesn't hold water does it ?
Admin  
#25 Posted : 30 March 2004 22:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee From Ash.Org: Introduction Breathing other people's smoke is called passive, involuntary or secondhand smoking. The non-smoker breathes "sidestream" smoke from the burning tip of the cigarette and "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then exhaled by the smoker. Secondhand smoke (SHS) is a major source of indoor air pollution. What's in the smoke? Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemicals in the form of particles and gases. [1] Many potentially toxic gases are present in higher concentrations in sidestream smoke than in mainstream smoke and nearly 85% of the smoke in a room results from sidestream smoke. [2] The particulate phase includes tar (itself composed of many chemicals), nicotine, benzene and benzo(a)pyrene. The gas phase includes carbon monoxide, ammonia, dimethylnitrosamine, formaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide and acrolein. Some of these have marked irritant properties and some 60 are known or suspected carcinogens (cancer causing substances). The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the USA has classified environmental tobacco smoke as a class A (known human) carcinogen along with asbestos, arsenic, benzene and radon gas. 1 How does this affect the passive smoker? Some of the immediate effects of passive smoking include eye irritation, headache, cough, sore throat, dizziness and nausea. Adults with asthma can experience a significant decline in lung function when exposed, while new cases of asthma may be induced in children whose parents smoke. Short term exposure to tobacco smoke also has a measurable effect on the heart in non-smokers. Just 30 minutes exposure is enough to reduce coronary blood flow. [3] In the longer term, passive smokers suffer an increased risk of a range of smoking-related diseases. Non-smokers who are exposed to passive smoking in the home, have a 25 per cent increased risk of heart disease and lung cancer. [4] A major review by the Government-appointed Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) concluded that passive smoking is a cause of lung cancer and ischaemic heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a cause of respiratory disease, cot death, middle ear disease and asthmatic attacks in children. [5] A more recent review of the health impacts of passive smoking by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) noted that “the evidence is sufficient to conclude that involuntary smoking is a cause of lung cancer in never smokers”. [6] Deaths from secondhand smoke Whilst the relative health risks from passive smoking are small in comparison with those from active smoking, because the diseases are common, the overall health impact is large. The British Medical Association has conservatively estimated that secondhand smoke causes at least 1,000 deaths a year in the UK. However, the true figure is likely to be much higher. Based on the findings of the SCOTH report and the review by the California Environmental Protection Agency11 ASH estimates that, each year in the UK, about 600 lung cancer deaths and up to 12,000 deaths from heart disease in nonsmokers may be attributed to passive smoking. [7] [1] Respiratory health effects of passive smoking. EPA/600/6-90/006F United States Environmental Protection Agency, 1992. [View document] [2] Fielding, JE and Phenow, KJ. New England J. of Medicine 1988; 319: 1452-60. [3] Otsuka, R. Acute effects of passive smoking on the coronary circulation in healthy young adults. JAMA 2001; 286: 436-441 [View abstract] [4] Law MR et al. Environmental tobacco smoke exposure and ischaemic heart disease: an evaluation of the evidence. BMJ 1997; 315: 973-80. [View abstract] Hackshaw AK et al. The accumulated evidence on lung cancer and environmental tobacco smoke. BMJ 1997; 315: 980-88. [View abstract] [5] Report of the Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health. Department of Health, 1998. [View document] [6] Involuntary smoking. Summary of Data reported and evaluation. IARC, 2002. (Full report in press) View summary [7] Passive smoking: A summary of the evidence. ASH, November 2002 [View document]
Admin  
#26 Posted : 31 March 2004 07:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Wouldn't it be more sensible if these places, when they introduce their smoking ban, were required under the same Regulations to provide a separate room for those who want to smoke - like we do in offices, etc, we have a "smokers area". Unless you are in that particular room/cubby hole or whatever you don't have to breathe in second hand smoke but it ensures that smokers have the option of a cigarette if they want one. I'm not trying to cast smokers out as social pariahs - every person has the right to do as he or she pleases within the realms of reality - however, if it does cause offence to others then perhaps this might be an option. I know that this is a very simplistic view but sometimes one tries to get too over complex when there is an easy solution. Hilary
Admin  
#27 Posted : 31 March 2004 07:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas What about Prison Officers then? Inmates are allowed to smoke in their cells and in designated rooms thourghout the Prison however, Prison Offcers have no choice in the matter they have to go into those areas as it is their job. Should we ban Inmates from smoking inside Prisons and only alow them to smoke outside? The Prison Service has a Duty of care to protect their staff and people in their custody, so if they did not ban Inmates from smoking inside would they be neglecting their duty as an employer? This whole smoking ban thing will open a can of worms!!!! A wise old man once said to me "You solve one problem and create another" So true. Your thoughts... Yours Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#28 Posted : 31 March 2004 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze You know Hilary, I was going to post somthing similar a while back (no, really I was). But then I decided that glass collectors would still be potentially exposed to smoke so I didn't. As I was arguing for the ban on the grounds of non smoking employees (a bit like Rod's Prison Warders) I decided that the problem would not actually be solved, so I dropped the suggestion. Interestingly, the Travellers' Rest (my local with a v. good selection of real ales) has both smokers & non-smokers lounges which seems to satisfy all customers. However as the bar is situated in the smoking section, the bar staff are not protected. Perhaps a partial solution in that case would be to swap the two areas so that the bar is in the non-smoking section. Add a few extraction fans to the smoking area to create a negative pressure & the problem is significantly reduced. OK we still haven't eliminated smoke exposure to bar staff & glass collectors, but we have significantly reduced it & tried to keep both parties happy as well as creating a positive selling point for the pub. Perhaps we could introduce some form of OH monitoring (lung function testing) for staff? Total cost in this case: a couple of hundred quid for extraction fans, about 50 quid per staff member per annum for OH nurse. Benefits: the smokers are happy & don't leave, the non-smokers (majority of drinking population) return to the pub increasing turnover, the staff are a lot happier as well. Nobody ends up being accused of breaching anybodys rights or 'peeing in the swimming pool' or poisoning people or suing anybody else. The term reasonably practicable springs to mind. Just forget about the emotive issues & deal with it like any other h&s issue. Any workable suggestions for other public places?
Admin  
#29 Posted : 31 March 2004 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie As car exhausts, especially diesel ones, are equally damaging I personally think drivers should only be able to drive in private places. When in public I suggest routing the exhaust into the car for them to breath, this would quickly cut down pollution and congestion. If drivers did this, I would be prepared to stop smoking!
Admin  
#30 Posted : 31 March 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Jonathan/Hilary & like minded persons That's the way to go. Tolerance and reasoned arguments. Why in so many cases is the immediate reaction to exaggerate the problem and the first solution is to 'ban'this or that or whatever. No wonder we get a bad name. Instead of sweeping statements likening a puff of smoke having the same effect as having asbestos blown over you, or being covered in beer!!!, lets have a reasoned discussion and come up with ideas on how we can satisfy both camps.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 31 March 2004 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews Having read all these responses, including Stuart's epic which starts off by suggesting that non-smokers should be banned from drinking in pubs and goes on to the ridiculous argument that pubs would close if it weren't for smokers, I have not seen anything that convinces me that smoking in public places or workplaces should continue to be acceptable. All the arguments against a ban posted by the smokers only goes to emphasise their selfishness in continuing to defend their right to force other people to smoke. Lets no beat about the bush here that is what is happening, they are forcing people to do something that will, or could, seriously harm their health. And, they wont stop doing it until someone gives them irrefutable evidence that passive smoking is harmful, which will never happen because the scientists employed by tobacco companies wont let it! I myself like to odd gallon or two of beer (so much for smokers keeping pubs open). I know the risks to my health in drinking such quatities but is only my health, I don't force any down the throat of tht tee-totaler next to me. Yes ex-smokers like me do make the most noise about it (there's no prude like a reformed whore!). That is probably because, only having smoked for a number of years (20 in my case) and given up (15 years now) can the harmful effects be fully appreciated. People who have never smoked and people who still smoke can't really comprehend the difference. You have to stop to really understand, that is why I can't accept any argument put forward by a smoker. Stop for a few years then come back and try to convince me, I'll listen then! Richard
Admin  
#32 Posted : 31 March 2004 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Cooper Have you heard of the Leeds Student Union bars which banned smoking in all their bars? They then changed that decision after three weeks as their takings dropped by a huge percentage. It could be argued that patrons had the opportunity to go to local 'smoking' bars. Anyway this issue is about harm to individuals and the need to comply with legislation. We breathe in a cocktail of gases, some quite harmful, the case to identify individual gases which are so harmful they should be banned, surely in any normal case would involve sampling, analysis, research and assessment. Surley it is our job in health and safety to view such subjects in a fair and pragmatic way, without introducing our own preferences? C.J.Cooper (did smoke, doesn't now and finds local school buses and London buses to be the most offensive air polluters!)
Admin  
#33 Posted : 31 March 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Richard I may be wrong but my interpretation of your last contribution is that you are happy to state your opinion but you are not willing to listen to opinions you don't agree with -you say this in your last sentence. Mmmm. So much for this being called a discussion forum. For the record - and a point which destroys one aspect of your argument - I am an ex smoker. Geoff
Admin  
#34 Posted : 31 March 2004 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis How many safety professionals does it take to decide on a smoking ban? Infinite because they can never agree!!! or More than it takes to change a light bulb safely Bob
Admin  
#35 Posted : 31 March 2004 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster A smoker for over 20 years and, after a couple of failed attempts, free of the habit for the past 13. But not one of the "whores turned prude", I hope. I was convinced of the risks to my own health. I made the choice to quit. I could quite easily pop over to the smoking cabin right now and cadge a fag and enjoy it. It might make me feel a bit light headed - just like those first few in my teenage years. I will, however, content myself with eating my also unhealthy bacon roll. Fags taste dreadful with bacon anyway. The point is, those are my health choices. I will not lecture anybody about the health risks they are taking by smoking, and I don't expect to be hectored about my bacon butty. We know. We know. I have no concerns about the health risk of passive bacon butty eating. The atmospheric hydrogen sulphide concentrations from flatulence are unlikely to exceed safe exposure levels. Whilst anecdotally, there appears to be a health risk from passive smoking, and I know from personal experience that many of those exposed will suffer irritant effects, there is little hard evidence to support long term adverse effects. Many of the individual constituents of tobacco smoke are extremely harmful, but do the concentrations in the atmosphere constitute a significant risk? Until each is analysed and set against recognised exposure standards, the arguments of the ban-smoking-on-health-grounds brigade can always be countered by the right-to-smoke-anywhere camp. Since neither side can actually prove its point, the result is stalemate. However, until I quit smoking, I had no idea what effect my tobacco smoke had on others, particularly on non-smokers. It is a medical fact that the sense of smell and taste (or to be more specific for the pedants, the function of the olfactory organ) is diminished by tobacco smoking. The organ also becomes de-sensitised to an ever-present smell. That way, the person with BO is always the last to know. How come everybody elses house smells of something but not your own? Fag smoke may or may not be a health hazard, but it irritates and it stinks (funnily, pipe tobacco leaves a much more aromatic smell behind). Like most non-smokers I can tell if somebody has smoked, or been in a room with smokers within the last hour or so. (Now I know how schoolteachers knew we had been smoking behind the bike sheds, even when we denied it). The smell lingers, so when you come home from the pub, all clothing has to be changed and hair washed to get rid of it. Unfortunately, the smoker cannot smell this any more than the garlic eater can smell his own breath. Even smokers may find smoking whilst eating is unpleasent. But that relaxing fag with the port and coffee is often taken whilst those at the next table are still eating, the smell completely ruining their food. We have a non-smoking guest house. If someone breaks the rules and smokes in the room, all the bedding (not just the sheets), the curtains, lampshades etc have to be laundered before the room can be re-occupied. In extreme cases, the walls and ceiling must be washed down to get rid of the smell. So tolerance, yes. But a great deal more understanding is needed. If I smoked, I would want to be able to enjoy my fag with my pint, and should be able to - without having to stand out in the rain. Equally as I don't, I want to be able to enjoy my meal and my pint without the taste of fag smoke, and to be able to go out to the same places of entertainment as everyone else without having red eyes and a pile of washing to do. I really think that is all that the majority of non-smokers want (no, I cannot support that assertion with statistical data, but it would be interesting to find out, as most of the polls I have seen simply ask if smoking in certain places should be banned or not). Talk of "bans" is putting peoples backs up. Use of unproven health arguments just produces counter arguments. We should only be looking at controlling - not necessarily banning - smoking in enclosed public spaces, so that there would be a requirement to design, build and maintain initially new and subsequently extend the provision to existing premises such that non-smokers can enjoy the facilities of the premises, and staff can work, without being subjected to the annoyance of tobacco smoke. Premises should be free to decide whether this means a ban, seggregated facilities or efficient directional ventilation according to need and practicability. Surely this could work and suit the vast majority of people?
Admin  
#36 Posted : 31 March 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Funnily enough Geoff, I too am an ex-smoker. Let's try not to bash the smokers or inflict our personal opinions too harshly - at some stage we have, all of us, been wrong about something. This forum should be a medium for useful suggestions to find solutions to very real problems instead of a means by which we can victimise one sector of society. I was not suggesting a room in a pub where smokers could sit and have their pint etc, I was thinking more of a smoking shelter/room so if someone wants a cigarette during the course of the evening they can have a "quick trip to the smoking area" much like anyone else would have quick trip to the toilet - this way, as long as it is pretty well extracted, there should be no need for anyone other than smokers to use this area until the end of the evening and clearing up time. Even then, if this is the last room to be cleared up and the extraction is adequate, any impact on bar staff would be minimal to say the least. Are there any more "useful" suggestions out there? Hilary
Admin  
#37 Posted : 31 March 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews OK. good point Geoff, and a bad choice of words on my part. John Webster, I think, has hit the nail on the head with his contribution. By gum Peter, thas started fur flyin' 'ere.
Admin  
#38 Posted : 31 March 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Thank you John, you have gone some way to restoring my faith - I've copied parts of your contribution below for emphasis. 'Talk of "bans" is putting peoples backs up. Use of unproven health arguments just produces counter arguments.' At the risk of repeating myself why do some Safety Professionals jump straight into 'ban' mode. It does them and us no favours with those in the 'real' world. Exaggerate the problems and you lose your argument - to mention asbestos in this discussion as equivalent to passive smoking is nonsensical. 'We should only be looking at controlling - not necessarily banning - smoking in enclosed public spaces, so that there would be a requirement to design, build and maintain initially new and subsequently extend the provision to existing premises such that non-smokers can enjoy the facilities of the premises, and staff can work, without being subjected to the annoyance of tobacco smoke. Premises should be free to decide whether this means a ban, seggregated facilities or efficient directional ventilation according to need and practicability.' Absolutely right. But people seem to find it easier to jump up and down rather than come out with a reasoned argument that would take people along with them. 'Surely this could work and suit the vast majority of people?' Thank goodness for the moderate voice. Geoff
Admin  
#39 Posted : 31 March 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze My goodness, a consensus is developing on a controversial issue in just over 40 posts, it must be a record. Thanks to John Webster for a very well balanced post. I would now like to suggest that the main controversy now remaining is Peter Lee's implication that the ROI is part of the UK... ...I'll get me coat!
Admin  
#40 Posted : 31 March 2004 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Well. I'm please I managed to inject some more thought into the debate, It's often quite amusing being able to take the 'devils Advocate' position, and see the response of others to a certain view or a disposition. Obviously the numbered scenarios in my response were intended to be rediculous, I thought some may even have a giggle - it sometimes does you good to have a laugh you know - and there is scientific evididence for that, but obvously I was wrong, as by some of the responses I was actually taken seriously... Are you for real!! Motor racing on the public highway. I don't, and I think it is a poor comparison in relation to something that is only practiced in specific places and on specific occassions, as opposed to something that is 'Public' - and by the way they do race in some places on the public highway - a certain principality jumps immediately to mind!! Reports... yes I have actually read most of them already, the words 'generally', it appears', there is some (very little) evidence to suggest', little evidence' small in comparrison' and so on and so on exemplify the content of most of the reports. I do notice however that no one appears to mention reports with alternate views, those stating that there is actually no positive evidence that also have scientific backing!! As a smoker, I really do appreciate the objections of non-smokers (no really), my wife does not smoke nor do my children (18 and 21), and, for example, I do not smoke in my car if carrying non smoking passengers - regardless of the length of journey, and long haul flights are no dicomfort to me either, unlike some colleagues I know who have shares I think in nicotine patches for such air passages.... Smoking does not really bnother me. I should give it up I suppose, But I do really enjoy the occassional ciggy!! In such circumstances I abide by and have respect for the wishes of non smokers, I do however smoke in public houses, where there is no bar on smoking (such as there is in the restaurant sections), and I have only once been asked to desist in such a place, and I objected!! mainly because the person who asked was so rude in doing so - I was at the bar (1 of only two other customers in the bar at the time) and the person and his wife sat directly next to us. I pointed out that about 10 metres of bar space and some 20 tables were available... but no, he wanted to occupy the space right next to me!! Well, sorry, I did not find this acceptable myself!!! refomed Whores...hum!!! I don't think I would use that term, perhap tobacco celebate person would be more accommodating...!! Urinating in swimming pools being the same as smoking in public? I don't think the two quite go... Urine is sterile, and smoking in public may or may may not be in the company of others. Do you mean a blanket smoking ban outside of private residences (i.e. in the public domain). No of course you don't I'm just being faceuous, just don't see the two as comparible really...bit like racing cars!! Tollerence, yes, all for it - ON BOTH SIDES. Unfortunately, all debates on this subject always seem to be a little loaded as most respondents jumping on the band-waggon tend, 'it appears', to be from the ban-em or shoot-em brigade... i.e those who have an axe to grind - into the nearest smoker it seems if presented with any opportunity. I think I should finish my second 'diatribe' or bitter critical attack, by stating what I Really think: 1) there are already bans on smoking on all forms of public transport - good, I have no objection. 2) There should be a ban on smoking in the workplace - I don't although I am a smoker - If I want a smoke I go where I will not effect anyopne else (usually outside - in the open air) is this 'in public? 3) There are already bans on smoking in most places of public entertainment (cinemas, theatres etc). Good, I don't mind. 4) There are bans on smoking in most all areas of leisure centres. Good, I can't smoke whilst swimming in urine and the sweat of weight training would mean that my ciggy's would go out if I tried it in the Gym, which I don't. The bar in the centre is also non smoking, but has smoking area (reference the Leed University Student Bar details above!!) It would appear that the only places I can actually smoke are now very limited: a) in own home b) on the street/in a public place c) in my car d) in a public house e) in a designated 'smoking area' and thats about it. Finally, it is interesting to note the law in respect of public houses, it goes something like that you accept the fact, by using the place, the risks associated with in, similar to a public highway, and the right to pass and repass, limited only by obstructions that are either natural or legal. It will be interesting to watch the Irish situation develop, and see what happens. Many local pubs, regardless of the improved licencing hours ect, would I believe have a real problem if smokers were effective excluded, and whilst many may argue this is not the case, the Leeds Student Bar does provide some insight into this. In addition, I can add from personal experience, that non-smoking only bars and restaurants, once very new and trendy, also have not taken off as was thought they would? Why, I have no idea, I would have thought that by all the comments of the non smoking lobby, they would have been full to bursting, not apparently not so!! Lets see where we go from here... Stuart 2)