Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth We have major issues on site with drivers exceeding our site speed limit (10mph). The circumstances of the site are that we are a production site with on site parking for employees and visitors and we also have a lot of HGV and pedestrian movements. (Nightmare scenario).We have been through the route of communicating and have more than enough speed signs, we inform employees of the speed limit at induction and we tell all our visiting drivers of the site speed limit. We have disciplined employees and banned people from site for speeding. I am now looking for other means of control and It has been suggested that we look at portable flashing devices - for want of a better phrase - that indicate vehicles are exceeeding the limit and ask them to slow down. This is similar to the type of things found in towns and villages around the country. Ideally I would like to hire something in the first instance. I would be grateful for any thoughts, advice, assistance from those of you who have been in a similar position on how to best control this. Yours, desperatly tearing his hair out, Malcolm
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2004 12:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel Put a large [I mean large] sticky sign, indicating the speed / parking rules, accross the front windscreen - which takes a time to get off - people will than get the message - Banning vehicles [not the people at this stage]from the site is another option Its called management! On the very many production facilities that I have experience of we had problems like you are describing - we went the education route and finally the sticky lable was used -It worked. There is a time to talk and educate and a time to manage. NB: Rember a factory is private property therefore you have rights as an owner - you do not have to let vehicles on site
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2004 07:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Thanks for your response Bob, it was not quite what I was expecting. We do issue all vehicle owners with a car park pass to display in their windscreen. The inside of this pass clearly indicates that the site speed limit is 10mph. In addition we tell people the speed limit at induction, we have clear speed limit signs at the site entrance and we inform all visiting drivers of the speed limit when they book in at the security gate. The banning of vehicles is obviously a last resort and I guess that what I am really looking for is a pragmatic solution to the problem and examples of how we can encourage our drivers to slow down.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2004 08:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Malcolm, I had the same problem on my site, with employees and contractors. First the employees, don't ban them from site, ban them from bringing a vehicle on to site let them use some other form of transport until they get the message.(It works) Second Contractors, remember you are the customer, so if the ones driving the vehicle won't listen go directly to their boss and make it clear that if their drivers do not adhere to the speed limit they will lose the contract.....everything boils down to money because it talks.....
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2004 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Discussion point: Could I suggest you set a realisic speed limit before implementing any other measures.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2004 08:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I guess 'realistic' would have been a better word!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian John Abbs Malcolm Rod's point regarding approaching the contractor's boss is probably the best approach. There are some traffic management tools vailable such as portable Variable Message Signs. These detect traffic moving greater than the speed limit and flash up a message to slow down as the vehicle approaches. A solution like this need only be temporary as the lesson will be learnt eventually. A competent traffic management company will be able to supply a VMS fairly cheaply on a short term basis.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Brian, This is just what I am after. I think I may have found what I want after I spotted the 'Fork Truck Traffic Calming' thread on the chat forum and read some of the responses.. Regards, Malcolm,
Admin  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Malcolm, We have a system that involves laser detection which activates once the vehicle is above the set speed limit. This activation then spreads a liquid solution (none skid) across the road. The bonding effect on tyres of this solution guarantees that no vehicle will exceed your site speed limits, infact it gives the opposite effect (what is the word for the opposite of exceed?). This is a total transport management system that is very cost effective. Cheers
Admin  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2004 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Yes I know what today's date is!!!!!!!!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2004 01:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Why not install road humps?