Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2004 16:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By navigator I have heard that this can be done, for assessments in respect of hardness/softness of materials by using the 'Sprailloof' method. Can anyone tell me what it is?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2004 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical I always thought April Fool's were meant to be done before 12 midday!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2004 20:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Apart from april fools, I don't know the sprailrooof formula but for calculating specific densities we compared the weight of a defined volume of water to that of the same defined volume containing a material of different density. 100 cc of water equals 100 gramme. 100 cc volume containing a precise weight of another material suspended in the water has a different weight. From the diference in weight you can calculate the specific gravity of that material. With a bit of thought I might come up with the formula. But I'm sure you don't need that much help Merv Newman
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2004 21:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton What has density got to do with the hardness or softness of a material. You can have very hard materials with low or high densities etc. I think your terminology is slightly off beam. Density is mass per unit of volume or a measure of a materials compactness!!!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2004 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical Gentlemen, thank you, you really did brighten up April Fool's day!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2004 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robin V Boughton Did it need brightening up then?