Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2004 17:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Hull
Hi, I was wondering if any one had any points on how an employer would judge a NEBOSH Dip 2 against an NVQ Lev 4 if everything else was equal. Also how NVQ 4 would be seen outside Britain e.g. Repbulic of Ireland.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2004 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod
Roy,

NVQ 4 equates to proof of competence in actually carrying out a Safety Practitioners Work scope whereas a Dip 2 is the academic backbone to support competence.

There are many excellent Safety Practitioners within the national workforce who have no Diploma due to the fact that they always do badly in written exams however there are also Safety Practitioners with the Diploma who have no practical experience in the workplace and as such let their employers and themselves down.

This is not true of all cases but certainly of some.

Not sure how the NVQ 4 is viewed out with the UK but remember an NVQ4 will get you full MIOSH if you work within a perceived high-risk industry and as we all know IOSH is an internationally recognised institution.

Hope this has been of some help.

Regards
Frank
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Just to redress the balance, there are many good safety practitioners with the Diploma as well, we are not all academics with no experience.

Most jobs in SHP ask for NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent, NVQ, NTU, etc etc.

Regards
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 April 2004 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Linda Crossland-Clarke
It was my understanding that there are no Dip 2 providers in Ireland! So if your choice is limited, don't feel disapointed. The NVQ is both very popular and welcome in many industries. Especially those that hold irregular & long hours, shift work, and where safety personel have worked their way up from "tools" and do not want to choose the acaedemic route. In the latter case, there is a surprising amount of stories that I hear, where everyone knows a collegue who chose the dip route and "are really struggling" with it, academically or with time committments. Quite often I get approached by these collegues later on to find out more on the NVQ...
Linda.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2004 20:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod

Sorry, I did not mean to cause offence to any holders of the NEBOSH Diploma.

The point I was trying to make was that, without experience some fresh faced Diploma holders invariably take time to have a positive effect in the workplace.

Personally I have an SVQ 4, a NEBOSH Dip 1 and hope to sit the Dip 2 exams in December, thus having the best of both worlds (proof of competence and academic back up) due to a benevolent employer.

I certainly have no issue with practitioners who choose the academic Diploma route of the practical experience NVQ route. Indeed I hope to go on and take an HSE degree after the completion of the Diploma (Did I mention I was a Masochist?)

Once again please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding

Regards
Frank
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2004 13:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
As a Group Health Safety Manager, I would be very happy to have someone with a NVQ MIOSH. A blend of qualifications and experience in the Team is very beneficial to the company so flexibility in the recruitment approach is best. Fancy a job?