Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2004 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Dont know if anyone else saw this: A council has banned the backstroke in its swimming pools due to health and safety concerns, as people cant see where they are going and bang into other people, walls etc! Ian
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Unfortunately another tabloid over- reaction. The ban is not new it’s just that our sleuth like reporters only found out about it on a day which was thin for celeb stories. A number of pools ask patrons to desist from backstroke at peak periods. They are sensibly managing risk just as they do when they rope off one or two lanes for people doing training to keep them apart from the “general splashing about” crowd. Pools have had “no bombing” rules for years – what’s different?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2004 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Not being able to see on backstroke is something of a fallacy if you do enough of it. You swim following the beams on the ceiling to keep a straight line and then you count strokes from the marker flags so that you know when the end of the pool is coming - I swim quite a lot and haven't managed to bang my head in a long time. However, it does follow that swimming backstroke in a crowded swimming pool is extremely anti-social behaviour because of the full arm span that is required to complete this stroke - consequently you are in danger of smacking other people in the face as you go past. Backstroke, Old English Backstroke and Butterfly should be left for when the pool is not quite so crowded - this is plain common sense and I think it is quite sad that they have to put guidelines in for what is, essentially, good manners. Hilary
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2004 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Morrison Cant help but agree with you Ian. I know we all try and keep the Health and Safety message going but it really does not help when we get headlines like this one. And although the messsage has some validity, what next ban swimming? There does come a point where personal responsability comes into place, or do we want codes of practise and guidlines for almost everything we do. Just cant help feeling that we dont always help to get the right message across. Bill
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood excuse my ignorance, what is Old English Backstroke??
Admin  
#6 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Don't go into the water you will get wet and catch a cold. Swimming banned...
Admin  
#7 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton Old English Backstroke is bringing both arms up at once rather than one at a time - ie butterfly on your back - not a very often taught or seen stroke but very quick.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2004 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Wood wow. i'm not surprised it's not often taught...sounds really difficult..... ...just tried it, pulled shoulder, off to hospital - is it reportable? :-)
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2004 22:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger Ahh..Bombing. Takes me back to my youth!
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt You lived in London during the war then?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 April 2004 22:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger No. I was actually refering to swimming pools, sorry if I did not make that clear.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 April 2004 00:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Presumably they allow backstroke within the roped-off lanes during busy periods if not in the remainder of the pool - or would this be unfair discrimination? I certainly engage in this activity myself at busy times in our Leisure Centre (Old English backstroke included).