Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce As a H&S Adviser for an LEA, I am trying to investigate options for databases to improve our accident/incident reporting. I'm toying with ideas around an internet based service so that each location (school etc) can enter accident data as it happens, flag significant ones up to me, perhaps via e-mail, have the capability to be multi layered so that I can save reports from investigations alongside the report, photo's etc. I understand the issues surrounding varying levels of access to the system and the Data Protection Act, but wondered if any other local authority people out there could let me know if they have a system that works, where they got it from, how much it cost(s) etc. Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2004 14:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP This has been asked before on this forum- please do a search. We are presently going on line with a system we designed ourselves- off-the-shelf systems were too expensive and didn't meet our requirements
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2004 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bharat Patel Have a quick look at our product at www.xgenics.com This is a very low cost product which will allow you to even create your own checklists. I will send a private, more detailed response if you want to take it further.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett A word of warning - make sure the system you use is flexible enough for the diversity of a local authority. We bought one which has thrown up lots of problems - for instance it automatically generates an F2508 for accidents which would be reportable in most circumstances but which aren't when they happen to school children. This of course gave us very badly skewed statistics. You will also need to think about how you want the system to be used. Initially the idea for us was that the system would totally replace paper accident reporting. However what wasn't taken into account was the number of sites where there was no computer access - so of course they still needed the forms, which had to be sent in to a central site for input, which caused all sorts of resentment and delays. Check the number of licences you will get for your money - we bought 5 and this was wholly inadequate. In the nature of things people would log on to report something, were not able to because all the licences were in use, and go on to do something else which meant that the reports fell to the bottom of the pile. You will also need to make sure that the system doesn't impose an impractical time out (ie throws you out after X minutes) - people would have a couple of forms to do and get locked out of the system after the first one - then weren't able to go back in because all the licences were in use! All in all it's been one of those exercises that have been more trouble than they're worth. To be fair the software people have tried to accommodate us - for instance changing the time out limit from 20 to 40 minutes - but any more fundamental changes are very very expensive. I'm sorry if this is teaching you to suck eggs but these questions weren't asked when our system was bought and we're paying the price now.