Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2004 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah O'Brien I was recently asked by a manger if stress is a work related accident or industrial injury? A doctors certificate had been issued with Stress as the cause - Do they still pay for a shift allowance? ( their contracts state that if they are off due to industrial accident/injury then payments will continue) We had quite a discussion but I'm still not sure how it should be classed.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Not sure if this helps much Hard one to call.. Is an occupation illness an accident? From the HSE Website......... "Evidence suggests that stress is the lead cause of occupational ill health in local authority managed sectors of employment such as education and social services. Following a successful pilot last year, HSE and EMAS (our medical branch) are embarking on a national programme of assessing local authorities for their management of stress and rehabilitation of employees affected by stress."
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2004 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas I have encountered this one. A member of staff was signed off by his Doctor stating Work Related Stress. So I wondered if was reportable under RIDDOR as he was off for more than 3 days so I called the HSE help line where upon I was informed that it was not reportable under RIDDOR
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 April 2004 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond An Occ Health Adviser told me that GP's are not supposed to sign people of with 'stress' because it is not a medical diagnosis. I gather they are supposed to be specific - such as 'depression' or 'anxiety'.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 April 2004 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul B Position Paper 13 from the Industrial Injuries Advisory Council states that it is presently not able "...to identify circumstances in which it recommends extending the schedule of prescription to include adverse health outcomes ascribed to stress at work". The full document can be accessed at http://www.iiac.org.uk/papers.shtml Hope this helps Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 April 2004 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical Stress is neither an illness or disease classified under the ICD codes, therefore the individual's GP is doing the usual cop out. Stress may be the cause of a range of symptoms that could individually be classified as an illness under the ICD codes. Therefore you have two choices, don't pay the employee because under the diagnosis given there is no need, or challenge the doctor to lay down the correct diagnosis! Hope it helps.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2004 17:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah O'Brien To Philosophical - what are ICD codes and is there a website !!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2004 20:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan This discussion illustrates why the HSE has taken so long to published management standards on occupational stress (and waited till research generated statistical data until they did so). The root problem is that there is no consensus about the variety of sources of stress; to recommend the ICD as proposed by 'Philosophical' simply adds to the confusion, as its status is as open to challenge as the psychiatric taxonomy it replaced (the DSM). From the basis of HASAWA, the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 advocate that you assess risks of stress. You can use the HSE's draft management standards for occupational stress (on www.hse.gov.uk) as a framework for doing this, or the framework of Positive Psychology advocated by leading experts in clinical stress at the University of Pennsylvania as an alternative to the ICD and its alternative the DSM. You would then be in a position to ask a g.p. for clarification of his/her assessment on the basis of categories of stress of your choice; while he/she can reasonably deflect a challenge based on the questionable ICD framework, he/she has much less grounds for doing so if you ask in plain English about categories of stress that you actually understand.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2004 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philosophical Am not sure why the ICD codes add to the confusion. The simple fact is that stress is not a disease - it is a cause as I have already said. With regard to your statement that this leads to confusion Kieran, can I suggest you review your comments - they certainly took some reading to understand your point. My point is that the occupational stress card is often over played by GPs, who often fail in a very short consultation to get to the root cause of a problem and take the easy way out! How often does anyone challenge their treatment, a few Prozac and that's it - hardly an effective intervention!