Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2004 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By margaretconlon We have trouble ensuring that some of our personnel are wearing their safety helmets. Is there any way we can draw up some type of agreement with them that they are opting out of wearing PPE, and place the responsibility on them. Is this feasible?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 April 2004 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By GWB No its not feasible. Go the disciplinary route, it works.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2004 15:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas That's a definite No Margaret. It's all down to management of the issue. I can e-mail some info that may be worthwhile if you like. Regards Joe
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor In addition to the employee having a duty to co-operate in using the provided PPE, the employer has a duty to provide it and ensure it is used. You could get into all sorts of problems if you are seen to be conspiring with the employee to not use necessary PPE.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2004 13:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Margaret, I strongly suggest reading the "Health and Safety Overrides Employment Law" article on page 14 of this month's (April 2004) SHP magazine. If someone can't wear the PPE, you should try to make all efforts to find suitable PPE, if you can't find suitable PPE that they can wear then you have to move them to an area where they don't need to wear it, if you can't do that then you have to dismiss them! Let me know if you can't get hold of the article and I'll arrange to fax it to you or something. Regards, Karen