Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2004 17:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve edwards
Could anyone recomend any videos or training information on near miss reporting.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2004 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Beaumont
It is ages since I went into the Forum and I have been amazed by the number of threads. How do i find the ones in which I am interested?
I wanted to ask about near misses I hope steve won't mind if I do not answer his request.
But how do you/we define a near miss?
If it is a matter of opinion then whose opinion?
Is one man's near miss another ones exercise of good judgement?
Think how people cross the road
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2004 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod
Scenario:- Man walks along walkway and it is noticed a toolbox is sitting on aledge above him, which could possibly fall down on top of him (Potential Incident) Man walking along walkway when toolbox on ledge above him becomes dislodged, falls to the ground next to him but causes him no injury nor any other damage(Near Miss) Man walking along walkway when toolbox on ledge above him becomes dislodged and falls on top of him injuring him (Incident Accident). If same toolbox comes crashing down misses him but causes damage to machinery equipment (again Incident Accident).

I have sent you both a small powerpoint presentation on Accidents, which may be of help.

There are many companies out and about which also provide good videos on the subject. Look in Health and Safety Practitioner mag for addresses etc.

Hope this has been of some help guys.

Regards
Frank
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2004 19:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david cairns
Frank, would you be so kind as to forward me a copy of the presentation??

with kind regards Dingbat
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2004 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Frank
Sorry to disagree with you but scenarios 1 and 2 are both Near Misses for me - just to be totally awkward. We have to treat all such scenarios as these as Near Misses in any structured NM reporting process. They actually demonstrate the underlying mindset of the individuals, particularly scenario 1.

In essence we know statistically that people are the cause of 90%+ of all accidents with equipment and procedures failures accounting for the remaining 10%ish. Remember that badly written procedures and wrongly selected or use of uninspected equipment are also down to people. Thus an operative using the wrong tool for a job is a failure on a personal level not an equipment fault.

Bob