Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Did anyone read this article in The Mail On Sunday 04 April? I had to check the date as I personally thought it to be an April Fool, but no, the Cannon of Shefields Anglican Cathedral is using 12 different sets of towels to dry the 12 pairs of feet he is going to wash on Maundy Thurday, as the Cannon stated "In the spirit of new Health & Safety Legislation, we will use a seperate towel for each person person to eliminate the risk of cross contamination" I was wondering where this NEW legislation came from? Anyone out there Know? The ramification of people having to use a seperate towel to dry their feet as they go to worship could be horrendous, take the Muslim faith these deeply religous people pray sometimes 3 times a day, but they must wash their feet every time they enter their Mosque and if the Mosque is to provide the towels the expense to be enormous or would they have to bring their own towel. Is this some Safety Officer from Sheffield Council trying to make a name for themselves? If this is new legislation then the world has gone and I am catching the next Bus to the Planet Zag...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 April 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Phillips I may be wrong but I think it has something to do with ammendments to either coshh or ppe regs where the sharing of PPE is not permitted unless it can be cleaned or decontaminated, however, in the interest of personal hygiene I dont think i would like to be last if the cannon only had one towel
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas I'll get my coat!!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Excuse my ignorance, but in what manner is a towel PPE? I believe that it is his choice to use twelve towels, perhaps as a result of his own risk assessment, rather than an official edict. Please someone correct me if I am wrong - and if I am, please save me a seat on that bus Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Why the fuss? If I have my feet washed the last thing I'd want is them dried with somebody else's smelly towel. We've had separate hand towels in wash rooms for years - why are feet different?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Perhaps a separate chalice each matches the occassion!! Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Alec, Grab yer coat I have saved you a seat.... Chris a Towel PPE? It's to dry you not protect you!!!! With regards to The Cannon he has most definitely went on the advise of someone.... Tony B might want to chair a summit on it, he seems to be chairing everything else at present.... Ahhhh to the Tower with him....
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 April 2004 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Re: Towels in a Mosque... I have just spoke to a guy in our office about this, he assures me that if a person were to dry their feet on a towel in a Mosque, they would have the entire contents of the lower bowel kicked out of them as it disrespectful! A slight exaggeration, but you see what I mean?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 April 2004 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter MacDonald Are feet still smelly after they've been washed! I hope the priest/vicar/whoever wears some non-silicon based surgical gloves for handing out the bread. Has he considered passive smoke from all the candles. In fact naked flames with all those flowing robes around is a disaster waiting to happen. What about the ergononmic/ muscle problems associated with wearing a big heavy hat for an hour while standing in a badly lit pupit with inadequate handrails. Towels are the least of the worries. Don't leave without me.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Sounds like an outbreak of Tabloidis Over-reactus. The cure is simple - Stop taking the tabloids -Start thinking for yourself. Only those who are incurable need leave on the bus.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2004 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas John, I'm off then, obviously there is no help for me on this Planet, bye bye earthlings........................................
Admin  
#12 Posted : 06 April 2004 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I have often worked with/trained muslims. They wash their hands, feet and face and then pray up to five times a day. Usually, at about 4pm I announce a "prayer pause" of 30 minutes. The muslims go to pray and then take a fruit juice. The others take a coffee and fag break. I have never observed one of the muslims to use a towel to dry off. As for the maundy ceremony, 12 communicants = 12 towels and 12 chalices (or sterile wipes between communicants). Get out of that. Merv Newman
Admin  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2004 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Many churches have had individual 'cups' for 'communion' for some years - as a response to concern about cross-infection. Presumably the 12 towel method for ceremonial feet-washing is another step in that direction. I certainly wouldn't want to use someone else's towel after swimming (and, even less, one that had been used by 11 others before me). I should be interested to hear whether this keen approach to personal hygiene also applies in their toilets as a number of churches, I have found, have one 'grubby' towel hanging on a hook for general use after using the WC facilities. A number of 'restaurants' also seem to favour this approach. It is interesting that a socially and culturally acceptable gesture for sandal-wearing visitors at the time and dusty place when it occurred has become a matter of religious ritual. Perhaps a more modern act of welcome and humility could be found without associated health implications?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 07 April 2004 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny Swygart Why not use disposable paper towels to dry the feet? Isn't that what are provided in washrooms across the world? Surely the simplest solutions are the best. Stop that bus! The world hasn't come to an end yet (But it makes good copy to make us think it has). Danny.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2004 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen Wow! we've been saved! I heard on the radio this morning that the bishop is only to use a single towel. The HSE have stated that there is no regulation that prevents this. That's one in the eye for the politically correct/ Brussels bureaucrats /do -gooders/ civil claimers / accident chasing lawyers / liberal lefties / (or add your particular prejudice here). Thank goodness our British way of life which has been preserved for a thousand years has once again stood firm against this intolerable onslaught. Now get back up those chimneys you little blighters and don't complain about the soot, it won't do you any harm!
Admin  
#16 Posted : 11 April 2004 20:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I hope the Bishop has: a pair of knee pads for all that kneeling; a risk assessment for the manual handling and ergonomic problems; gloves to prevent cross contamination (changed each time he washes a pair of feet; disposable towels of course and not towelling ones; clean water for each wash performed, antiseptic soap from a suitable dispenser; a waterproof apron (disposable of course); an assistant to assist in acrrying/moving all the paraphinailia about (suitably trained of course)..... I might be easier to provide a trough of suitably chlorinated water and simply stand at one end and let the parishioners paddle in one side and out the other, and dish out disposable towels to them.....or perhaps a hose pipe with them against the wall....or we could always go for the full immersion...no sorry - thats a different thing entirely!!!whats the number of that bus....