Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2004 23:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington I have 18 blocks of 1892 housing stock. There is a designated fire escape route through the loft void.Up one staircase and down the other. This is signed and there is emergency lighting, therefore no problems, except; These sites are at Tower Bridge London and the area has a large number of crack cocaine users and sellers. They particularly like the void as they are out of sight and warm. Unfortunately they leave associated debris behind including used needles, faeces, bedding, products of robberies and they even break the lighting as they are photosensitive to the light due to the drugs. Therefore we are currently saying to our tenants in the event of a fire evacuate into a pitch black environment filled with faeces, needles, half used pregnancy test kits (really) and other debris. Therefore the Safety chap (me) looks at this - writes reports with suggestions, i.e. doors on mag lock - tied to a fire alarm attached to smoke detectors. Check this out with Building Control - they say I must install emergency door release systems - green boxes. Of course this will defeat the whole scheme, as the drug users will simply smash the glass... Their best solution is a positive pressure system that will keep the smoke in the flats. They have heard of it but do not know the cost or a supplier... Therefore does anyone know of a system for a residential site? Any other ideas that will keep BC happy? A copy of the excellent book Electrical Safety at Work by PC Buck to any suggestions used. Can't say fairer then that. Regards David. David.Partington@Southwark.gov.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2004 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes David. Try contacting this company I think they may be able to help you out as they design and install all sorts of ventilation systems. Airtech Ventilation, Unit 1B, Crossways Retail Park, Cearphilly, CF83 3NL. Tel; 02920 867604. Contact name Rodney Richards Hope this helps Kelvin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2004 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi David, I don't have an answer to the door things I am afraid, but if all else fails, make the area less attractive for the druggies. One very good way of doing this is with light. Seek out some vandal resistant lighting and flood the area with intensely blue/violet light. Not only does the blue light play hell with those suffering photosensistivity, but it also makes it nigh on impossible for them to find a vein. Alec Wood
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2004 21:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Install sprinkers in the flats as this will be cheaper than a completely new vacuum system.... this should allow more time for evacuation by other means as well as the voids... Make the voids unpleasant places to be - except in an emergency - cold, windy, lighting could be as above, but could be defeated simply by a spray can... perhaps sprinkers in there as well.....
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2004 22:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Thanks for this Stuart. Any idea of cost? My origional scheme was £140k. The Pos PA scheme must be similar in addition to £140k. If a sprinkler system could be employed for twenty housing units per stairway X 18 then I would not need the fire escape in which case I could simply padlock these voids and therefore mag-locks not needed etc. One could use frangable units therefore fail safe is in-built. Good idea. Any idea of cost? Regards David Partington David.Partington@southwark.gov.uk You seem to be the winner of the book. If cost is ok.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2004 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie David Sorry to come in so late, but how on earth do you "half use" a pregnacy test kit? I must have had a sheltered upbringing! Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2004 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Laurie, apparently this is very common amongst the squemish, they simply cannot await the results and run away ☺ I should have said the pots were half filled with urine. Regards David.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2004 22:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd David, I suggest you give Ken Bishop at Wormald a call on 0161 205 2321 about sprinklers. Regards, Karen
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2004 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Not too sure on costs, but then you did'nt expect to have someone else do all the works for you, did you?..... No doubt you will be able to get some detailed quotes from the miriad of providers available... Stuart
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2004 22:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Thanks Stuart. Are you sure that you do not want to do all of the work for me? It would make my working life somewhat easier... Please send a postal address and I will send you a copy of Mr Bucks book. Regards David. David.Partington@southwark.gov.uk
Admin  
#11 Posted : 18 April 2004 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle David. Address mailed to your email address... Regards... Stuart
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 April 2004 15:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller The real problem here seems to be the lack of housing management and enforcement. Typical of housing officers to pass the problem over to the safety guy. We had a very similar problem here in the North East but to solve it we got a new housing operations Director. He kicked butt! with the housing staff who were failing to using the anti social behaviour laws that they had been bleating on about for years. Local community police officers were called into line following a meeting with our new weapon and the chief constable. Prior to that housing offices to them were just Costa Coffee stops and places to get information for easy arrests. What will be required to solve your problem is a joint effort with all agencies and of course maintenance staff. Yes your contribution will be required and valuable however,it is very unfair to place all the burden on your shoulders. These kind of problems take years to correct and chucking money and technology at it alone will not work. Trust me I have been there. They always find a way to defeat the technology and you all end up back at square one. Treat the illness not the symptoms. Mike