Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2004 11:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris I am considering using an on line DSE assessment tool for our 1,000 workstations such as that provided by Ergosystems. Do any of you out there have experience of the problems surrounding the installation of on line software and the benefits or not of using such a system. I know it will save a forest of paper but do they actually work?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2004 11:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Uren Only tried software once. It was a good record keeper but could not substitute for a good one on one assessment to find (and solve) the problems staff were encountering.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2004 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Chris We have recently purchased a DSE assessment package which is on our Intranet. We bought it from a company called J-Media and they also supplied us with a CD version for colleagues who do not have access to the Intranet. The feedback from users has been very positive. The assessment also gives users information about taking regular breaks, setting up their workststation etc. It also gives us a record centrally of who has completed the assessment. We have about 22 000 employees (they don't all use computers but a significant number do) so the electronic way is probably the most efficient way for us. If you want to have a chat with me about it please don't hesitate to ring (01244 602229)or drop me an e-mail. Regards, Eric
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2004 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Chris We purchased a intranet based system from a company called Cardinus. The feedback seems to be good. The programme takes about 30 min to complete and consists of a interactice training part and then a workstation assessment. If you want any other info please drop us an email Ian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2004 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Melrose As a consultant ergonomist, I often come across online DSE assessment systems that have been employed by companies. In general, the information contained is adequate but in order to comply with the regulations, the assessment should be completed by a "competent person" i.e. someone familar with the hazards associated with the equipment. Simply asking the individual to check if the equipment works etc is not enough as they may not be aware of their posure and the effect it may have on their bodies in the future / now. When carrying out an assessment, I would inform the individual of their entitlements then check the equipment before carrying out a postural assessment to ensure they were sitting at the correct height etc (something a computer package cannot do!). I can then give them advice there and then and recommend any further equipment required such as footrests / document holders. It's all well and good showing a photograph of the correct posture but I find it far more useful actually showing the person WHY we ask them to raise the chair height, move the mouse location.... Before I got a job in the field so to speak, I worked for a company that had an online system. There were supposed to be DSE assessors to check all the completed assessments but usually unless the individual complained, they were OK'd and forgotten about. I became one of the assesors and before I left was "in charge" of over 500 members of staff. I was given NO time to visit people unless they had a doctors letter. This was not acceptable and part of the reason I left - what's the point of being an assessor if I couln't assess!! Anyway, you might want to buy the Guidance on Regulations [ISBN0-7176-2582-6] as this provides information on the assessment form etc...It's £8.95. Hope this helps