Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 April 2004 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt I have recently had a demonstration of a new type of mobile access platform / ladder called an ESCA 2000. It's fairly new so I was wondering if anyone else has had experience of using it or had any problems with it? Cheers, Eric
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2004 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan No Sorry Eric but I would be interested if it is any good Dave
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2004 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood Details on this ladder/platform can be found at http://www.esca2000.co.uk/. On looking at it, it seems to be very tall,3-4 m, in relation to its width, making it vulnerable to sideways overturn unless stabilised. From my experience, this platform would need two things: means of securing it from falling over (either outrigger legs or a method of attaching to the structure being worked on) and a method of attaching a person's fall arrest or safety harness to get round the risks of work at height. I would not suggest the use of such work equipment unless all other methods fail but it does appear better than working off a ladder (which should not really be allowed except for access or a quick one-off job). It would be interesting to see what standards applied and any risk assessment associated with typical work, in reference to the Draft Work at Height Regs.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2004 14:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Herbert This looks very much like a piece of kit used in theatres called a tallescope.(and a very lightweight version at that). I agree that it does look unstable without outriggers. It very much depends on how much you would use this item and for how long at a time but i would investigate the possibility of a tallescope instead which is of a sturdier appearance with outriggers and can be adjusted for uneven ground.See http://www.rondean.co.uk/clearance/tallescope.htm for pictures or do a google search on 'tallescope' for discussions on safe use Hope this helps
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2004 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Thanks for the responses. The ESCA 2000 looks like a good bit of kit, and it meets the relevent standards. However, there is always the human element to consider, and with the ESCA 2000 there is a lot for the operator to remember when putting it together e.g. remembering to hand-tighten various parts etc. During the demonstration, I went to the top of the equipment to see how sturdy it was and surprisingly it felt quite safe. However, it did feel quite strange (and against my instincts) when I used the mechanism to move it while I was still at the top. I was also concerned about the small working platform and the absence of toe-boards, although I was told by the company that these are available as an optional extra. It sems that this piece of equipment is ideal for small lightweight jobs at height, such as adjusting stage lighting, but if any colleagues are considering it's purchase I would suggest that a very thorough risk assessment is undertaken first and the range of jobs that it can be used for are spelled out quite clearly to operators, as it would not be suitable for certain jobs where a tower scaffold may be more appropriate. If anyone has purchased this kit I would be interested to hear from them. Thanks, Eric
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2004 22:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington One of my R&M contractors has recently asked me for a view on a piece of kit called EASYDECK. As a Housing organisation with some 60 000 tenancies we have at least 50 scaffolds up at any one time often for inspection purposes, this poses problems for us. The Easydeck system can be put up to roof eaves level by two people within five minutes, and taken away just as quickly. The cost is ~ £7k. Following our agreement with the R&M contractor, we hire it from our contractor at need and this works very well for us. Regards David.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2004 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Mike Thanks for the information on the Tallescope. Have you used it? It does look quite sturdy but I notice that the operator would be climbing a vertical ladder. I couldn't make out from the pictures whether there is a platform at the top. Cheers Eric
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 April 2004 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson Eric, We have a tallascope in our theatre and yes there is a small platform at the top which is accessed via the vertical ladder. As an earlier correspondent said they are used extensively in theatres for which they are ideal. However I would not like to use it for general maintenance work or on anything other than a perfectly flat and level surface. It is also custom and practice, in theatres, to move them with someone at the top, provided the outriggers are correctly adjusted and positioned. Trust this is helpful.