Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2004 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Katiem Good Afternoon all, Can anyone enlighten me as to the scope of first aid provision for workers in the community working on a one to one basis with people who use a care/support service. I was under the impression that as an Employer your provision was to your employees-having established your need through risk assessment. If providing First Aiders, in the case I have highlighted above, is the responsibility of the employer this would mean having every member of staff qualified as a first aider (Over 50 in a service that employes just over 50) I would be grateful for people comments on this one. Have a good eggs all and don't eat too many eggs? Regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2004 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Freeman If they are one to one then the only provision of first aid would be for themselves - I would suggest issuing some sort of travel/first aid kit which they could either keep on person (bum bag style) or provide a car first aid kit. The provision of first aiders would need to be covered at their base HQ/office.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2004 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan HI Katiem We have a situation ( like many ) where we have engineers working alone or in pairs and it would not be practical to have all of them trained as full first aiders, so we give anyone who works in this way emergency first aid training (which is a half day course) We also supply them with a first aid kit. If you need details of the training please send me an email. Regards Dave
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger J H Afternoon, I agree with the last two responses. The Risk Assessment Rule Applies and out of that you would be providing a Travel Kit or small personal Kit for low risk activities based on trend (Check accident records for injury types in the past when completing assessment), if a small kit is issued basic training in it's use and the reporting of injuries should be given. (Not a First Aid Qualification) Refer to INDG214 Free Leaflets. Be careful about infection control if working in care sector !!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2004 22:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Please find below the guidance from the ACOP 3. Where employees are sent to work away from their employer’s establishment, their employer will still have to ensure adequate and appropriate first-aid provision is made for them. The requirements will vary according to the nature of the work activity and its associated risks, and whether the employees work alone or in small or large groups. 4.In the case of peripatetic employees in urban areas working where there are relatively low hazards, an employer may not need to make available full first aid facilities for these employees other than the permanent provision at their establishment. 5.In the case of employees who regularly work away from their employers establishment in isolated locations or where they are involved in travelling long distances in remote areas from which access to accident and emergency facilities may be difficult, it may be necessary for first aid equipment to be carried by, or made available to employees. The equipment should be suitable for the numbers involved and the potential hazards to which the employees may be exposed. As you can see from the above, it comes down to the assessment of need and the level of risk, whether you should have first aiders or appointed and the amount of first aid provision supplied.