Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2004 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike.mcdonnell
for another example visit http://www.timesonline.c...,,1-1501-1069911,00.html
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2004 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
Well, not really.
They're not saying that H&S is a bag of crap, just that the over-liberal interpretation of it IS.
And they're right.
There has been a dramatic increase in those advising about H&S and a dramatic lack of any accidents prevented.
Far too many, a majority of massive size, of the H&S consultants have no interest in the H&S of those who DO work and far too much interest in the financial side of H&S. Their fees, that is.
Maybe it wouldn't be politic to mention that bastion of H&S, the HSE ?
An organisation so far up its own a**e with so many research regimes running, that it has little money remaining to pay for inspectors ?
If I had to rely on either H&S consultants or the HSE for my basic safety at work, I'd be long-dead by now.
And the amount of people suffering from debilitating industrially-caused disease is increasing.
Work that one out.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2004 21:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber
In his comment 'Health and safety and the death of television' Jeremy Clarkson takes his usual ludicrous stance against the HSE and all those working to improve safety standards for working people. I think that Jeremy should be as free to express himself as ordinary sane people are, but I would like to know if he is aware of the thousands of workers who suffer disease or injury as a result of work activity in the UK each year, and whether he really thinks that the reduction of death and pain will prevent us all being happy ? Is there anybody else out there who thinks that Jeremy is correct, and that people who strive to improve safety standards at work are 'Idiots' and are actually making life more miserable for everyone?

I do not believe that we should attempt to make our leisure environments free of risk ,or our homes completely free of bacteria . It is imperative that, as animals, we remain biologically and instinctively equipped to survive in the real world with all its sharp edges and hazards.

But the work environment , where people create wealth for others, must be as free as possible from health and safety risks. Otherwise what is to stop unprincipled employers (and, yes Jeremy they do still exist) from exploiting their employees.

As for your comment John about relying on either H&S consultants or the HSE for your basic safety at work, you should'nt be anyway, its either your employer or YOU that has the duty.

Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2004 00:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PaulA
Good old Jeremy.. you either love him or hate the guy.. I love his humour as the majority of it is to prevoke a response......
I dont remember the exact incident but I'm sure that the producer in charge of a show a few years ago whereby a member of the public fell to their death live on TV through scaffold during a stunt that went wrong had wished he had carried out a more thorough risk assessment...

It may also interesting to note that Jeremys' flight in an F15 was nearly bullet proof due to the safe systems of work implemented in military aviation... if the aircraft had just gone through a deep maintenance package, by a group of YTS lads and on its check test flight....the TV rating figures would have been greater than Eastenders...
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2004 00:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Well, Jeremy does like to get up peoples noses.
And he IS right, in some respects.
Like it or loathe it.
Oh, and as for the "it's your employers or your responsibility" stuff.
Right.
"I ain't going to use this strop, it's frayed and the fibres can be seen"

"ok, we'll buy another but use that for now"

"no, it isn't safe"

"Use it or don't bother coming in tomorrow"

Yes, that's the way life really is. Outside of the H&S industry that is.
The responsibility for MY H&S lies with ME alone. My employer, or anyone elses, can be relied on to cut corners and avoid spending money at any time. My fellow employees can be relied on to cut corners to save effort and a**e lick at any time as well.
The H&S consultants can be relied on to charge fees for various services and to provide various courses for the employers to go on (all with meal and drinks supplied)
I get to read a 34 page tome of H&S policy dutifully provided by the employer and the H&S consultancy, most of which is pap-and-crap and unrealistic.
How am I supposed to drill holes without any electricity ?
"no cables, wires or trailing hoses are to be used in the workplace"
This is what you get when a company is full of people giving advice about engineering H&S, when none of the companies staff have any industrial experience at all.
Obviously Jez knows what I mean.
Oh, and you should look at the accident stats for military aircraft...not too good.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2004 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen

As safety professionals our job is to make the case for health and safety at work and for risks arising out of work activities. As I have said before on this site, as a society we are moving from a risk ignorant one to a risk averse one. At one end of the spectrum we have the dark dispiriting place inhabited by Mr Murgatroyd and at the other the “4 people to change a light bulb” scenario. Neither state is ideal. We need to move on to become a risk managing one.

Both risk ignorant and risk averse conditions depend for their continued existence on a lack of information and understanding. In the former case it is lack of awareness of the risk itself; in the latter fear of the risk, especially the consequences no matter how remote, paralyses thought and prevents any activity from taking place. Poor management will use any excuse to prevent making a decision and in many places safety issues now provide the perfect cover. It’s poor, untrained management that people should be concentrating on; if they can’t make decisions on safety issues what confidence can we have in other areas of their “skills”?

Mr Murgatroyd fires his scatter gun of vitriol at inspectors and consultants. Having been one and now the other I feel qualified to reply. Firstly, unless he wants to see the return of the “gentleman inspector”, no one today works for anything other than money and why shouldn’t any profession get a fee for its service commensurate with qualifications, experience and value to the business (which in the case of safety is considerable – prevent accidents and save business costs – but that’s another thread and way up the food chain from this discussion).

Having spent 9 years (1977-1986) as an inspector I never met another inspector who wasn’t honest, committed to his profession or reasonably hard working. Inspectors I knew were threatened, beaten up, had their cameras smashed and tyres slashed. No one ever offered a bribe to me or anyone I knew. From what I see today I don’t think inspectors have changed other than I don’t think they are as well trained as I was, especially in legal matters where some demonstrate a lack of understanding of the law. Like others they have suffered from the general denigration of public service professions which was instituted in 1979 and continues under the current government. They have also suffered because they are now managed by generalists in the Civil Service rather than a Chief Inspector.

With regard to consultants I have been one for about 4 years. I was forced into this position due to circumstances although now I am glad I did it. I have a family to feed and a roof to keep over my head. I sell my services on the market at the price it will bear. I have a professional code of conduct a system to ensure I remain competent and professional to guide me.

When I first entered this profession 27 years ago I was motivated by a desire to prevent accidents at work and let people go home with the same number of fingers, toes, heads etc as they had when they started work that morning.

I still hold onto that belief.

It can be done by managing risk

Let’s make the case.

Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2004 18:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Well, everyone has their viewpoint.
Mine is from the bottom up, yours is from the middle up.
At the end-of-the-day, the consultant who consistently advises that a companies H&S is faulty and needs a lot spent to raise its "profile" may, in the case of a large company, be rewarded with compliance. In the case of a small company he'll probably need to find other customers.
Yes, it is bad management that needs to be sorted, but just because management is bad doesn't mean it's not well trained. Again, the need to be cost effective is at the forefront of management thinking and money spent on H&S when "it'll never happen" is the current thinking, is money badly spent.
A couple of cases of people claiming against the insurance, and the premium going up 100%, is currently providing a focus for thought. But the thinking is not on H&S, it's on how to get rid of the "problem" people. Now, the company that employs me is NOT an exception, it's the RULE.
Your thinking is biased, it seems to me, towards medium to large companies. Whereas the larger percentage of operating companies in the UK are SMALL companies employing less than 50 people.
You need to look at the amount spent by the HSE on research and then on inspection. And on the FACT that inspection produces little improvement.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2004 19:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CHRISTOPHER HAYWARD
I would like to agree with almost every point made by John in his various postings in this thread and others

However you only have to read most of the assorted garbage that arrives in the post from most of the H&S industry to realise that he and myself are almost lone voices crying in the wilderness.

We can all quote examples until we are blue in the face and it serves little purpose. However I can only speak for the sector I work in and the geographical area I work in. The inspection rates are woeful. I know of one chemical company (not mine) dealing in a high risk environment that has not had an inspection for seven years and another company that has been trading for 20, employs 28 people, has NEVER had an inspection and doesn't even have an accident book.

Read the HSE enforcement database and prepare to be amazed at the number of those regulations, you lovingly committed to memory on NEBOSH courses, against which not one improvement notice and/or prosecution has ever been recorded.

Welcome to the real world.

Finally I DO CARE. That's why I work for rubbish money and deal with the unacceptable faces of capitalism on a daily basis.

There is an urgent need to get more inspectors on the beat as soon as possible. No more research papers on ever more exotic topics please. People are being maimed or made ill at a SME near you, NOW.

Finally no more pious carping at the "competency" of our fellow professionals in the careers forum. Just be grateful that more people want to join us.

Anyway, enough already, I'm off to find a blanket, it's getting cold out here in the desert.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2004 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hmmm...just Jeremy being Jeremy me thinks.

However, when he rolled the Rover 75 and they gave him another one which he also nearly rolled, I don't remember him calling it fun, I remember him calling it, "A deathtrap".

Karen
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2004 21:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Webber
I work with the Construction Industry and have seen many SME's who are prepared to cut corners, put their operatives at risk, seek to maximise their profits at the expense of their workers and who have never met anyone from the HSE.

I know that these employers are responsible for many of the accidents that occur each year and that their complacency directly affects the health and safety of the workforce. I also know that to work for such an employer is to accept the fact that argument will probably result in dismissal.

But I also know that increasing pressure is being brought to bear on such employers by clients and other employers and that safety standards are improving year on year.

I also believe that knowledge is power and that these SMEs, when faced by an informed workforce, will adapt their ways and change their approach.

So, if your employer is an a**e, get hold of authoritive information to prove him wrong, get it from this forum if necessary, and dont be a victim of greed or bullying any longer!!

Jeremy Clarkson provides ammunition to bad employers, the HSE provides ammunition for workers to improve their lot. Why are you sniping at the HSE?

Richard

Admin  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2004 21:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Not seen the programme but have read the comments carefully, so I get the picture.

There are many who share Christopher's and John's views regarding H&S even if they are not so vociferous. I am also concerned with the perception that health and safety has become overly bureaucratic and those with a vested interest attempt to turn it into some sort of science. We as in members of IOSH need to ensure that safety is not reduced to just a paper exercise. In fact IOSH could play a lead role.

I have argued that the HSE and the courts are far too reactive. Hindisght is a wonderful thing, but ensuring that those who do not comply with statutory h&s law in the first instance should be their primary goal. I could add much more but perhaps someone else contribute in due course.

Ray
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 April 2004 08:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood
Good old Jeremy, always knows which buttons to push. Many may not like his style of delivery, or the content of his message, but it should, along with the many others we have had from the tabloids recently, make us listen and debate. We do have a problem, or more accurately three (at least)

1. Far too many people are being exposed to unsafe working practises, equipment and environments. The enforcement authorities seem to do little if anything to combat it, largely because of a lack of inspection. Recent HSE blitzes in the South East do nothing to curb the excesses of dickensian employers in the North or anywhere else, in fact it would appear that even in the South East they think the chances of getting caught are slim given the number pulled up in the second construction blitz last year. Many people really are given the "do it or get down the road" choice every day, or at least they perceive that to be their choice. Many companies have no H&S staff at all, responsibility is given to the line managers who day-to-day objectives put H&S at the bottom of the list instead of the top, to managers who themselves perceive safe working practices as obstacles to efficiency. The postings of John M and others make this point eloquently and regularly, and no-one should kid themselves that the type of companes of which they speak are unusual.

2. On the other side of the coin many companies whose activities are largely low risk employ large health & safety departments who, in order to justify their existance, seem to be attempting to ban risk. These professionals may very well soon have the Brecon Beacons criss-crossed with handrails in case a Para on exercise falls over and hurts himself - they will also really believe that banning the use of assault courses, rock climbing, etc would be a perfectly logical and good idea. The reasonable part of "reasonably practicable" has been excised from their conciousness and they will persue the total elimination of risk, no matter how slight, and no matter how ludicrous, or how close it comes to preventing the work activity from continuing in any form. Unfortunately for us, these are always the nutters the tabloids will concentrate on.

3. Lack of inspection leads to lack of prosecution. The derisory penalties dished out by the courts lead to the trivialisation of the offences in the eyes of the public, but what can be done if even the courts appear not to take health & safety law seriously. If the crime is regarded by all as petty then the bringing of the offender to book will be regarded as trivial by press and society at large.

We cannot shy away from the facts - people are dying in some areas, being maimed by machines which they have been ordered to use without guarding, while in others people are prevented from carrying a cup of coffee across the office floor (unless on a tray or fitted with a lid in case of spillage and burns), police really cannot do surveillance work, carers for the elderly really cannot change light bulbs. We need to address the problems, not stick our heads in the sand and blame the tabloids or Mr Clarkson for merely echoing the views and the attitudes that prevail in wider society at this time.

Alec Wood
Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 April 2004 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Coming into this late, I just wanted to follow up on the last point by Raymond. I have argued before on this forum that there is little need for more laws - just better enforcement of the ones we already have. It was therefore interesting to note the article in the SHP that covered a successful prosecution by the HSE of a company BEFORE there was a serious injury or fatality. A bit more of proactive approaches such as this and I beleive we would be on the way to promting the concept of prevention, not reaction.

The article is "Firm Charged for Confined Spaces Threat" on p.12, April 2004 issue. There are several others in the same issue where prosecution was brought and won without preceding injury.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 April 2004 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Thank you Alec. A very accurate summary of the situation. This is the point I have been trying to make for some time and the answer is that we need to change to the management of risk.

With regard to SMEs which are taking the flak for poor performance (probably rightly), larger companies also have a responsibility. The SMEs are frequently their suppliers or contractors. The larger companies have a duty to ensure that risk is being managed in their supply chain.

There is no point in bemoaning the lack of inspections when we have the power to influence things.

I wouldn't get too upset about the tabloids (or tabloid attitudes expressed elsewhere). They have more faces than the town hall clock. The same people who criticise H&S just now will be the first to call for more regulation the next time something goes wrong.

Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 April 2004 08:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
And on the pressure SME's unfairly feel from larger companies, there was a report on the business news this morning that an estimated quarter of SME's go out of business because of the generally poor ability of big companies to pay their bills (at all, let alone on time!!). Yet these big companies put the squeeze on the very same SME's to kow-tow to their perception of safety (lots of reporting and records - whether necessary or not).

Perhaps if the big boys spent a little more effort in fair pay for fair work, the attitude to safety will improve overall. Demanding safety "compliance" while failing to pay their bills is both morally and ethically wrong. But once again we see the consequences of being driven by the bottom line. It costs the big companies nothing to demand high safety standards. But their profit & loss accounts look good when the money is only owed, not actually paid.

High standards? No, just double standards.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
There's no convincing some people. You can't have it both ways. It's OK for the HSE to put pressure on SMEs but not their clients who are paying for the service and would like the risk managed in their supply chain?

The remarks about late payment are a broad generalisation although no doubt plenty of people can come up with an example to support it. I can only say that the companies I work for are in the main reasonably prompt payers. Would you prefer it if the larger companies enforced no standard at all? We work in the HSE field and our job is to manage risk where people are exposed to it. We cannot take responsibility for accounts departments.

I've just had a look at the HSE prosecution data base. Only a small percentage of names on it are well known. I'd guess that the majority of culprits have less than 50 employees judging from the names I recognise from my own area.

Of course this must be a double standard on the part of the HSE to persecute the poor cash strapped SMEs who are er ... creating the risk.

Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee
Hello all, hope you didn't eat too many easter eggs.

Just to clarify a point regarding inspections by the enforcing authorities.

Premises are inspected on a programmed inspection basis based on a risk rating scheme, some of the higher risk premises are visited annually whilst some smaller ones may be up to 5 years.

There are, in my humble opinion, too few inspectors, and interestingly the HSE's annual recruitment has been put on hold.

Please stop bashing the enforcing authorities, most are underfunded or understaffed or both.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
It seems my point has not been explained adequately.

The reason why some (not all) SME's struggle with the H&S issue is due, in part, to a lack of adequate time to understand the subject, especially where they operate on tight margins and cannot afford to appoint an advisor directly, having to rely on consultants who may or may not provide them with a valuable service. Otherwise, it is what they pick up by direct mail or free info - again, some good, some bad.

The point I failed to make adequately was that it is OK to attempt to manage the risk, especially when the exposure is through the supplier, and expect them to be as safety conscious as necessary to manage their own risk. But it is patently unfair not to do something as simple as paying your bills on time, thereby forcing your supplier to sacrifice safety in the name of cost. Resources would be tight enough as it is, without having the bigger and hence more powerful party in the contractual relationship renegue on the most basic of principles - coughing up when the money is due.

SME's struggle with an information overload as it is. With the number of shysters out there who are trying to scare them silly by over-stating the issues of legislative compliance (there is in fact an outright scam going on in the North East of Scotland on this subject) then is it any wonder that H&S has such a poor perception among a growing number of people? My points are consistent and simple:

- adequate knowledge and understanding of the nature of the hazard(s) coupled with a proprotionate appreciation of the risk makes for safer attitudes and behaviours.

Within 5 minutes of talking to anyone will allow you to gauge both their understanding and acceptance of risk - more subjective than some might like but a more accurate representation of what they actually do in the field. No amount of policies and records will compensate for simple and appropriate good sense.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 13 April 2004 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Sean,

I think there are two points.

Firstly as some one who lives and works in NE Scotland I'd be interested to know what the scam is.

Secondly the main reason that small businesses fold up is failure to manage cash flow. Late payment is a risk and like any other it can be managed. People need to be aware of this when they set up in business and allow for it in their business plans. This is usually covered in start up classes, articles in newspapers and magazines and advice available from (oh no!) consultants.

If a business is failing to manage its cash flow it's reasonable to assume it's failing to manage other aspects of risk. When cash flow falters its easy to blame late payment.

Governments have encouraged small business start up over the last twenty years ago. Despite the froth this adds to the economy the sad truth is that many are doomed to fail. Like marriages they start with the best intentions.

I'd be failing in my duty if I didn't suggest to my clients that they need to work with their suppliers to improve standards. And it doesn't take 5 minutes talking to them to assess their competence, 20 seconds looking around their premises is usually enough.

Finally improving standards in the supply chain does not mean overloading suppliers with procedures. It does however mean coaching them up to the required standard and letting them see the business advantage of managing risk.