Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2004 12:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Following an report by the NHS's Corporate Governance Auditors, I have been instructed to produce a Health & Safety Strategy Document. We already have a Policy which fully complies with the law and exceeds HSE guidelies (and was complemented in an audit against HSG65). The auditors don't tell us what they want - just that we must have one (and by next month). I can find no guidance as to what one is/should be, what it should contain and of course what purpose it should serve that is not met by the Policy. Any advice/examples gratefully received. Cheers John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2004 13:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty Hi John I will e-mail you direct with a strategy that I managed to get my hands on. I think that what they might be looking for is your strategy for how to implement what it says in your policy.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2004 08:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty There is another example of a H&S strategy document on the following webpage. It is from a university and it outlines the strategic aims. Try a google search, and you'll find more. www.uwe.ac.uk/healthandsafety/Documents/SGN034.DOC
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2004 16:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Many thanks for the info, Ian. It was very useful in helping me get to grips with this. Thanks also to Vincent for a ready to roll example from within the NHS. John
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2004 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion This may assist you. We have available a word document that is clearer - if required send e-mail request ASSESSMENT SCALE Each risk control indicator should be assessed against the following 1 – 4 scale. A score of 1 must satisfy all the appropriate criteria of the risk control indicator One Two Three Four Full compliance in areas that matter Broad compliance in areas that matter Some compliance in areas that matter Limited or no compliance in areas that matter Stress Awareness and hazard identification Duty holder aware of current guidance has established a clear policy for dealing with stress at work and has identified the hazards (both qualitatively and quantitatively). Implementation Duty holder has implemented control measures or produced a time bound action plan for implementation. Employees are aware of the findings of risk assessments relevant to their work and the control measures that should be applied. Support is available for staff with ill-health. Systems in place for active and re-active monitoring in place. HAVS Elimination / substitution Use of power tools eliminated where not reasonably practicable, use of high risk tools eliminated and employee exposure to vibration less than HSE action level Awareness Where tools have been or need to be replaced duty holder has or is aware of the need to request relevant vibration data from the supplier Supply information Information obtained from supplier is consistent with OC246/31 appendix and includes real use data of EN/ISO data supplemented by information on any residual risk and measures to protect against this. Noise Noise management system Effective organisation and arrangements including adequate noise assessment, noise action plan, provision of information, instruction, training, supervision and a health surveillance regime. Evidence of positive purchasing policy and strong management commitment. Arrangements for reviewing the system. Control of noise at source Reasonably practicable measures for controlling noise (other than provision of EP) are in use and properly maintained. Ear protection programme (EP) EPZ’s demarcated are fully observed by all personnel. EP is provided and is suitable for the individual and the task. A maintenance / replacement schedule exists including regular checks by a trained person. Evidence of full and proper use. Occupational Asthma Asthmagen management system Effective organisation and arrangements including adequate COSH H assessments, provision of information, instruction, training and supervision. Evidence of management commitment and arrangements for review. Control strategy Substitution considered and effective where possible. Adequate engineering controls provided, used, maintained, examined and tested at suitable intervals. Suitable PPE provided, worn and stored correctly, suitably cleaned and well maintained. Appropriate instruction and training in proper use of engineering controls and PPE. Health surveillance Suitable health surveillance is provided by a competent person, everyone requiring it has been included, it is repeated as necessary and health records are kept. Cases of occupational asthma are reported to RIDDOR. Management of Risk Management enthusiastic and competent, have identified the main risks and for each one knows the relevant health and safety standards. The necessary effective measures have been put in place and checks are made to see if they are used properly, evidence of self-regulation. Working Environment Workplace well-lit, tidy and clean – if inspected – good welfare facilities. Falls from height Identification of activities and precautions involving falls from height Work above two metres, including maintenance, cleaning and repair, has been identified and workers instructed in precautions, access points to fragile roofs are marked. Selection, use and maintenance of equipment Appropriate access equipment is provided, is well maintained and regularly inspected and used. Systems for the procurement and control of contractors. Managers know how to screen potential contractors (in line with principles of CDM and actively monitor their works. Workplace Transport Safe site. Well defined traffic routes free from obstructions, firm and even surfaces. Every effort made to separate pedestrians from vehicles. Pedestrian crossing points. Effective one-way system, for HGV’s. Safe vehicles. Effective maintenance of steering, brakes and lights, ROPS and seat belts fitted when appropriate. Reversing aids fitted where appropriate. Safe driver. Fork lift truck drivers trained and competent in accordance with ACOP, similar for other vehicles. Active supervision of driver behaviour. Slips and Trips Floor contamination. Work activities and environment controlled, process plant controlled and maintained to minimise floor contamination such as water, oil, powders, flour etc. Spillages promptly and effectively cleaned-up (consider areas other than those where contamination is inevitable i.e. dye house, swimming pools). Suitable floors and footwear. Floors and required footwear give appropriate slip-resistance for conditions. Use of drainage, anti-slips surfaces, mats and grids as necessary i.e. areas prone to contamination Prevention of trips. Floors even, free from holes, gangways well marked, access routes kept free from hazards i.e. trailing cables, tools, stairs well constructed and fitted with handrails Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSD) Avoidance / control Significant MSD risk very well controlled little lifting or low unit weights, few repetitive activities and appropriate task design, work equipment selection and layout, mechanical aids / mechanisation Instruction and training Clear instructions. training appropriate to task for significant risks, employee awareness concerning risk factors and early symptom reporting, safe systems of handling, use of controls / workstation adjustment, risk assessors trained and provision of periodic refresher training Management commitment. worker involvement Managers and workers actively involved in addressing significant MSD risks i.e. set aims, assessed risks, avoid / controls, monitor progress, review change where needed. Jeff Manion www.groveservices.co.uk