Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 April 2004 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john ridley Within my organisation I have responsibility for our SMS throughout Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pac. As you may already know, in the UK the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations are due to take effect on the 21st May and introduce an explicit duty to manage asbestos in non-domestic premises. The Regulations themselves do not specify any superior European legislation so can anyone please inform me whether this is specifically a UK legal requirement or whether this is as a result of pan European legislation?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 April 2004 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser John, Looks like this is both - the UK is keen to tackle this issue, hence the attention the HSE website places on the subject. http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/index.htm The legislation was debated in parliament in Oct 2002 and although it isn't directly related to a specific EC Directive, this what the encumbant Minister Nick Brown had to say in support of the proposal: "The Government are effectively doing two things. First, we are implementing a number of European directives, including the health element of the chemical agents directive that lays down minimum standards for the protection of workers from health and safety risks caused by chemical agents. The directive largely reflects the approach already taken by the three sets of health-based regulations, which since the 1980s have set out a systematic approach to the control of substances hazardous to health, including lead and asbestos, in the workplace. The directive and existing legislation require employers to assess risks, prevent or control exposure, provide information and training for employees and, in some circumstances, monitor employees' exposure to hazardous substances and place them under health surveillance" (source: http://www.publications..../21024-26.htm#column_481) I presume the chemicals Directive he refers to is available in EUR-Lex but I haven't been able to find it in a quick look-see - if you have better luck let me know!