Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2004 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon carrier Good morning I am looking for some information on the inspection and testing of fire escapes from a second storey building. I think it would be covered under PUWER and as such would need to be regularly inspected. If anyone has any info I would be grateful. Thanks in advance
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2004 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Simon, All fire doors and hard ware (This includes fire escapes)must remain in efficeint working order at all times. If the premises has a fire certificate, then this will be a requirement of the certificate. If the building is not covered by a fire certificate, then then maintenance should be done according to the requirements of The Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare)Regulations 1992. Failing that get in touch with your Local Fire Brigades Safety Department, they will give you sound advice. I hope this is of some help. Aye, Rod D
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2004 00:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ivorfire Hi Simon, If you consider that the external escape is a large piece of rusting metal it would need to be treated and tested so it can carry out its function. It may appear sound and ok for one or two persons but if a "heard of elephants" had to use in an emergency it could fail. Therefore, as a fire officer I would normally recommended that a visual inspection carried out and any corrosion repaired all being verified by a structural engineer. This should be duly certificated and carried out once every five years if galvanised and every three years if not galvanised. In between times make sure that no water and /or green algae type slim is deposited to cause any slip hazard. Hope this helps. Regards, Shaun
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2004 22:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Simon there is a BS on this subject. Please note that these escapes are viewed as temporary structures under Building Regs. The standard is that they should be inspected every three years by a competent person to ensure that they maintain their structural integrety. If you are in the South of England then doudtless the engineers that I employ would be happy to advise you in these matters and undertake inspections on your behalf. Please respond to the email address below Regards David. David.Partington@Southwark.Gov.Uk
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 April 2004 06:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richa Garg We are a Recruitment and a Consulting Company.Our Client is an established global construction company providing total EPC services to Clients, in the development of offshore and onshore oil, gas and petrochemical fields for the Arabian Gulf and International markets. Job Description To provide first line Safety coverage on construction activities performed in offshore, yard or onsite projects. To control and monitor the safety of work activities with the aim of preventing accidents. Provide advice to the general workforce on safe practices and safe operating procedures and systems. Minimum Experience 5 years offshore safety construction experience in the petro-chemical sector. Supervisory potential. Good knowledge of written and spoken English. A knowledge of Arabic and one of the common workforce languages a definite advantage. Good communication skills. Ability to operate effectively in a multinational, multicultural work environment. Send us your resume at rgarg@experts.ae