Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2004 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Victoria I wondered if anyone could advise me of what the precise requirements are regarding health assessments for night workers.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2004 15:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Victoria I have emailed you direct with relevant information. Brian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2004 17:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Manion SHIFT WORKING What the employer can do.  Assess the risk. Consider work demands, schedule and the physical and mental characteristics of the workforce.  Raise awareness. Educate managers, day employees and shift workers about the need for sleep, the signs of sleepiness and preventative reassures.  Insert full spectrum lights in the workplace. A well lit workplace signals to the body that it is time to be awake and alert.  Provide vending machines with healthy food choices.  Schedule shifts to allow sufficient breaks and days off. Try to avoid too much overtime for shift workers.  Enable and support exercise breaks, especially on night shifts  Develop a napping policy. Employees on shift work often take a nap anyway, Better to condone and therefore plan and control napping so that it is done safely.  Be concerned about employees’ safety going to and from work. A large proportion of accidents among shift workers occur when driving home in the early hours on the morning – when body clock dips.  Try to minimise lone working. Boredom increase fatigue. Workers working together can look after each other. What the employee can do.  Take short beaks throughout the shift.  Try to work with a buddy. Talking with co-workers can help keep alert.  Try to exercise during breaks. Take a walk, climb the stairs or to go to the gym or fitness room if one is available.  Try to eat three normal meals a day. Eat healthy snacks, avoiding foods that may upset your stomach.  You may use caffeine. If you do though, do early in the shift i.e. before 3.00 am for the night shift.  Do not leave the most tedious r boring tasks to the end of the shift. This is when you are apt to feel drowsiest, especially around 4.00 am.  Exchange ideas with co-workers on how to avoid shift workers. Set up support group at work to spread support and learning.