Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2004 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Atkinson Are there any practitioners out there with responsibilities for buildings with lifts? (there must be). If so what are your contingencies for effecting a rescue should a lift car be stuck between floors. As I understand it there are three options: 1. Train your own staff to wind the lift car manually. Has safety implications for passengers and those doing the winding. 2. Rely on emergency call out from retained lift engineers - could be up to 4 hours response time! Not good for customer care 3. Call fire brigade - I gather that this is a service that some brigades charge for and others don't. It may become a mandatory chargeable service in the future - this is however aside from the moral issue of burdening the brigade who may be required for other "genuine" emergencies. I would welcome any comments from those with experience of preparing contingencies for such eventualities.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2004 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Risbec We rely on the first two options: 1. Train own staff (shift engineer with assist from a production techncian)to wind the lift car manually. The safety implications you mention are part and parcel of the training however, you must be confident that those charged with this duty are up to the task + you need to re-train regularly. 2. Rely on emergency call out from retained lift engineers - and yes it could be up to 4 hours response time! You can in some cases pay a premium ££ to the company to call them out within an agreed time. 3. Have not had to use the Fire Brigade but this is a good option if someone is ill and needs immediate rescue. Future indications are that they may start to charge but its probably worth it as long as your lifts don't break down on a regular basis.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2004 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson We have over 30 lifts on our campus and with the misuse that does takes place we often have to carry out lift releases. I prefer not to call them rescues. The lift types range from wound with plant rooms both at roof level and ground level, hydraulic both direct and indirect and a paternoster. Our duty engineers are all trained to carry out the releases assisted by our own Patrol Officers who have also received training. In the event there was a real emergency, before our own engineers could attended, our Patrol Officers would then release without the engineer being present. To effect a safe release you do need at least 3 persons present who are in communication with each other at all times. I don’t think its acceptable to have to wait 4 hours for a lift engineer to attend or to call the Fire Brigade out in our particular circumstances. With all due respect to the Fire Brigade if they effect a rescue the lift could well be put out of use for some time.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2004 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Mathews We have opted for training our own staff to manually bring the lift down. The training was done by the lift installers and is relitvely simple procedure (on our lifts anyway) once you know how. Richard
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Atkinson Steve/John/Richard Thanks for your comments guys. Very helpful and useful. I am coming down on the training of our own staff, which is fine during the day, but presents difficulties at night when the buildings are used for functions, but the only people on site would be catering (contractor) staff. I suppose the fallback under these circumstances would be the brigade if the passengers are in distress and cannot wait 4 hours for the engineer.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2004 22:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Reid This link may be of interest http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/50-2.htm EMERGENCY RELEASE OF PASSENGERS FROM IMMOBILISED LIFTS I would beware of using the emergency services in situations other than exactly that, an emergency. They will treat the release as a rescue and unless your catering contractors can provide them with all the neccessary keys and assistance they require they will take whatever steps are neccesary to effect the release.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2004 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Atkinson Great link Alistair - very useful