Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Gabriel
Hi

Can anyone tell me if the cloth caps and
hoods worn by welders, under their welding
helmets need to be of a fire proof material ?

Usually they are only manufactured from cotton and are not treated, as far as I
understand.

Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2004 14:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd
Yes, they do need to be flameproof.
They are not expensive, being only about a tenner each.
You can also get them in really nice designs and colours !!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2004 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger
The most popular type of welding cap is the brightly coloured "Kromer" type A, manufactured in America, available from most good welding consumable suppliers. This cap is made out of 100% cotton, but does not have any flame retardant treatment. Their web site is http://www.kromercap.com/
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2004 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Actually, it isn't the most popular.
There are many varieties, the most popular are the flame retardent caps:

http://www.proweld.co.uk...cPath=28&products_id=223

Trust me, I'm a welder and I've got ALL my hair....still.
Anyone that would buy their welders expensive non-flame retardent hats when the flame retardent ones are available for a low price has got serious problem, as will their welders head/s and hair.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 April 2004 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anthony Slinger
John, trying to aviod the pedanatics of welding caps, without the figures, I suppose popularity is a matter of opinion, I have always used Kromer caps and so do others I know without any loss of hair!
"I am not a real welder, I just wear the cap"!!!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 April 2004 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I believe it's down to risk assessment, Chris. You need to consider who, where, what and how they are welding and if there is a significant risk requiring further fire protection.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 22 April 2004 20:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Well, if you do a serious assessment and consider the risk atached to sparks burns to the head...post burn infections and so on...hair loss...possible burns to the neck, back etc...you will reach the conclusiion that complete head and neck protection is needed, and flame retardent as well.
Mind you, you could always do the average employer assessment ..........."how bloody much ? you got to be joking, let them burn"
(my employer supplies F/R welding caps...at 5 quid a shot they aren't expensive)(how much would an insurance claim for burns cost ?)(100% premium increase ?)