Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2004 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Richard Challinor Does anyone out there no of a minimum distance between office furniture (desks)for a member of staff to safely walk between?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I am not aware of a statutory provision, but I would suggest that any walkway should be at least as wide as a standard door. If you are designing some guidelines for office layouts within your company, then you may need to think about disabled access too. The Disabled Living Foundation specify minumum door widths of 750mm for internal doors, so it's probably unwise to go for anything less than that. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 April 2004 16:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Calum Cameron MIOSH Dip 2 OSH MaPS Hi-From memory, I seem to recall 11 cubic metres of workspace around each desk/workstation and heights more than 3m can not be counted. This will be in the workplace regs 92 ACOP. Hope that helps.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 April 2004 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott 1 metre minimum required for emergency egress - 1.2 metres for wheelchairs. This being part of the 11 cu metres unoccupied space referred to by earlier respondent