Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2004 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ann Hacon Good afternoon My organisation are revamping a 55 minute induction session which is delivered at a 'welcome day' along with other induction subjects. The purpose of the session is to provide an overview of our organisation, access to information, statistics, responsibilities etc. to groups of delegates who are from very different departments. I am interested in finding out about the methods of delivery and content of induction/training which receive good feedback. With thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 April 2004 21:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colin Dobson Ann Have you thought of using a DVD? There are advantages and disadvantages: The main advantages are that it is presented to the same standard to everyone, no chance of an important piece of information being missed. The disadvantages are the cost of producing the DVD and time taken. In addition you mention that you present statistics at your presentation, these will probably change frequently and would add to the costs if you had to keep amending the DVD.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 April 2004 07:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood In my experience, induction and other presentations benefit from some kind of interaction between presenter and audience. It's important that everyone receives the same standard of presentation, but this can benefit from some tailoring to the audience. A mixture of pre-prepared presentation and ad-lib can be used to maintain audience interest and stop the sleepy heads nodding off. Just because the presentation is not exactly the same every time, it doesn't mean that the same information was not delivered or that the same standard of delivery was not employed. I work from a laptop and projector and use a mixture of slideshows and video. I try not to put all the detail on slides, just the headers, so I am not merely stood up reading the contents of the screen - the audience are normally quite capable of doing that themselves. I have also found some points, particularly in health & safety, can benefit from group discussion. Multimedia files such as videos can be embedded into Powerpoint, or alternative software can be used to bring together all elements of your presentation, I like Macromedia Director. Pauses can be added so that you can do Q&A slots or stop for a coffee. The whole lot can be burned to a CD very cheaply. Many companies will produce a PC based individual induction package, complete with Q&A session and photographic verification of the person doing the induction which is very handy for contractors and the like. I was impressed with a demo from local company Harlington Straker (info@harlington-straker.co.uk). The DVD solution mentioned above is very cheap if you record your video as SVCD and record to CD rather than DVD. Most of the common CD authoring software will do this for you, and almost all DVD players will play SVCD. Alec Wood
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 April 2004 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Esq Hi Ann, In my organisation, with its many wide and varied teaching and working activities, we took time out to see what new employees were gaining from fairly lengthy and quite honestly boring health and safety induction package. We made the decision to change the style and format of the induction, so we did not lose our audience (new employees) on the first day of employment. We developed a first day induction package of essential health and safety information lasting around 5 minutes which was internet based for recording purposes, placing responsibility on line managers for local induction. We also developed a similar package of general health and safety information at the end of the first week, and then a similar package after the first month giving advice and health and safety information sources both internal and external. This as received all positive feedback so far, and as gone some way in improving the safety culture with our organisation combined with other measures. The secret......keeping it simple and easy to understand!