Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2004 08:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James K
Folks,
I have the huge task of getting site management and foremen more involved in H&S on sites. My job consists of 1 workshop and a lot of sites, some of which we are main contractor.
Recently my manager left the company and I am on my own which leaves me very thin on the ground. I hae asked the MD to get site management and foremen more involved than they already are, in H&S.
I am presently organising ameeting which I hope to hold once a month.
I am looking for ideas and/or presentations that I could show at this meeting to get management more involved.
Any assistance woud be appreciated.
Jim ( Tech SP )
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 April 2004 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Heather Aston
Jim

I always find on these things that pictures are worth far more than words. Some thoughts:

Graphs/charts showing accident rates, accident types, comparing site with site, etc.

Graphs/charts of sickness/absence costs.

Graphical representation of the cost of a single accident to the company - pick a lost time accident and break it down to show the direct and indirect costs to the company, the site and the individual.

Take some digital pictures of the sites themselves. Nothing makes them sit up quite like having their worst H&S issues up on the screen in glorious technicolour.

You don't say what level of management this is aimed at (not sure how big your sites are?) but the best way in my experience to get management interested in safety is to explain what the advantages are for them - decreased costs, lower absence figures, less likelihood of enforcement action.

Better safety performance = lower insurance costs is a good one too if you can back it up with figures.

Good luck

Heather
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2004 00:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Margaret Stokes
I have a presentation on Safety Management for Supervisors and Managers which could be useful as a staring point for getting them more involved. I put it together for a similar scenario when I was trying to raise safety awareness amongst managers/supervisors and get them more involved. It worked well. It consists of 18 Power Point slides, the topics covered include the basic safety philosophy for success, development and benefits of a positive safety culture, giving health & safety priority and successful safety leadership. If you are interested let me know(safetynet@eircom.net) and I will e-mail it to you direct