Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2004 19:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt 'Jeremy Clarkson, self-appointed scourge of health and safety, was today challenged to debate his views with members of the health and safety professionals' membership body, IOSH.' Oh dear Lawrence - I hope you are not in danger of taking Jeremy too seriously - it is all tongue in cheek you know!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2004 08:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Jeremy Clarkson makes many perfectly valid points, and his articles do much to stimulate debate in this area. While the style of his delivery may not be to everyone's taste, I have always found his articles very entertaining, certainly they never fail to bring a smile to my face! The issues he brings into these articles are real and should be discussed. I think that attempting to belittle the guy, or hold him up for ridicule does no more than suggest that those who do have so little substance to their arguments that they have to resort to purile name calling and personal attacks. TV programmes really are not being made because of over-zealous mis-interpretation of H&S law. Some police forces really are finding themselves unable to fully engage the criminals they are investigating. Many of the issues raised have nothing to do with safety law and all to do with compensation claims, but I would argue that they probably do not reflect the desires and aspirations of the nation as a whole. By bringing these issues into the public domain, a debate can be started and it is through such debates that law makers are influenced. While IOSH, IIRSM, BSC or any other body could bring them up, I doubt they would have the same impact outside the field in the general populous - the people who need to have the debate. They should instead contribute to the debates started as an "expert witness" type of thing. I would suggest that they do not restrict themselves to BBC2 and the Guardian in this, but attempt to get the message out there to "the man on the Clapham omnibus". I fully agree that IOSH should attempt to contribute to the public debate through communications, press release, maybe getting a few members to write articles of their own, but sniping at Mr Clarkson really is not the way forward. Alec Wood
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2004 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton I agree with the sentiments. I think Jeremy Clarkson is great, a man who can poke fun at his neighbours and have fun poked at him in return. I think that instead of listening to what he is saying, we should be looking at what he is doing. The drivers in the "reasonably priced vehicle" and The Stig never go out without seatbelts and helmets to protect them on a wide open field with no obstructions. How can anyone take offense at this. When you actually watch the programme all health and safety rules and procedures are adhered to very well. We should take a step back and look at what he is doing rather than take offense at what he is saying - I like Jeremy Clarkson, he makes me laugh and laughter really is the best tonic!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2004 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I agree with previous comments. The bloke is very funny - that's how he makes a living. Take away the obvious exaggerations and what he says is very close to the mark as well. What IOSH need to consider is this is how the layman views us all. Tackling Clarkson will just reinforce the idea that we are all a pompous bunch of old........ Some (albeit biased) reported stuff attributed to H&S makes me despair. My own view is there are too many people out there passing themselves off as H&S professionals when in fact they don't have a clue. Are you others careful about stating what you do for a living for fear of getting tarred with this brush?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2004 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Actually, no. While it does occasion the odd half-wit to become the mouthpiece of the Sun when they find out what I do for a living, my response is that there are always those who take things too far, i.e. the cases reported by the various tabloids recently. That seems to attract nods of agreement from most, and the rest, who cares! Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2004 19:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Who's Jeremy Clarkson? Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 April 2004 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lawrence Waterman Think of Jeremy Clarkson's occasional dig at H&S jobsworths not as a serious threat to the lives and health of working people but as an opportunity for us to engage in the public debate already going on. On the one hand, when an accident occurs (think of rail) it can paralyse the nation amidst calls for all such accidents to be guaranteed prevented. On the other, before harm arises health and safety rules are ridiculed for stopping us doing what we want. At Cardiff April 27th and 28th next year, if we can debate with JC, and be amused by his wit and energy, it will do us no harm at all. In fact, if he accepts the challenge it is likely to generate the biggest conference attendance we have ever had, and more publicity about IOSH than we have achieved in 60 years. Only those afraid of taking our views out into the public arena would object to this. Our whole approach to regulation in the UK is under attack - the sniping comes from all sorts including JC - yet the World Bank puts us in the top 10 (of 130 countries) for the least regulation, and Arthur Anderson reports that the UK is more entrepreneur friendly than any other EU country or the US. If we are silent, we'll get back to the days when we needed a rearguard action to defend decent workplace rules (just listen to the CBI whingeing, it's like a throwback to the 1980s). As the HSC says, OSH is a cornerstone of a civilised society - pompous or not, we need to be there saying it as well. And if Clarkson accepts the invitation, we'll have one of the most entertaining hours ever at an IOSH conference. So lighten up, chaps. Clarkson had a go and I took the opportunity at our conference in Harrogate to challenge him to debate. It's not the end of the world if you don't agree. But be prepared, IOSH will be stepping up its work to raise awareness of the role and value of competent advice from professional practitioners, and stepping up its efforts to discourage jobsworths from banning conkers in the name of health and safety.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 23 April 2004 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt It was obvious why you've done it Lawrence - you'll need all the attractions you can get to get people to Cardiff! But I have to say you have more faith in the ability of your fellow members to keep it light than I have. Most of them think Jeremy is being serious. Don't believe me? Check back on some of the threads on this forum.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 23 April 2004 18:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman may I suggest, seriously, that IOSH invite Jeremy Clarkson to be the keynote speaker at the next available (2005 ?) conference. To both open and close the debate. I would really like to hear your and IOSHs replies to this proposal I think he is on our side, lets make sure. Merv Newman
Admin  
#10 Posted : 23 April 2004 18:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Purely out of interest does anybody know who it was who banned conkers? Or is this just a story going the rounds like mobiles at petrol stations?
Admin  
#11 Posted : 23 April 2004 22:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david cairns Please telling me you are JOKING about conkers!!! its the only game i was good at
Admin  
#12 Posted : 27 April 2004 10:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt This was the autumn last year, when Norwich City Council announced it was going to chop down a very fine row of horse chestnut trees on the main road into the city because of fears that people and vehicles could be hit by large numbers of conkers. The statement received a lot of publicity at the time as you may imagine. No doubt a local person can provide more to the story. Allan
Admin  
#13 Posted : 17 May 2004 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Has Jeremy replied yet?
Admin  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2004 08:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Don't be silly Geoff, The bloke would not waste his time on trivia like us. He will most likely earn today more than you and I earn all year. All by exaggerating everything he writes and winding people up.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2004 18:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Phillips Let’s face it, JC has a point when he writes some of his articles. Without doubt they provide amusement. They even provide an opportunity for learning and evaluation. In fact I have contemplated sending him material as I have heard, seen and experienced plenty of questionable examples of health and safety practice and curtailment by both enforcers and practitioners. I imagine he is more than capable of researching his own material and probably won’t have to look too far to find it. Just a thought Once upon a time there was a safety person who stored 5L plastic containers of white spirit and tins of paint in a store cupboard. The tops of the plastic containers were cut off and the lids were removed from the tins of paint. The cupboard was rather strong with the aroma of organic solvents. When the individual was asked why the substances were kept in this condition, the safety person responded by saying that they had read the instructions on the plastic containers and tins and noted that these substances were to be kept 'well ventilated'! True or false? Don't be fooled, there are people out there that have skin like us, eyes like us but really they are from different planets. To Jeremy For heavens sake keep writing! To safety practitioners If we loose the ability to laugh at ourselves whilst gaining a light hearted perspective of life and society, then what have we become? P.S. A terrible thought has crossed my mind, what if my spelling is poor!!
Admin  
#16 Posted : 19 May 2004 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Phillips Just an update on my last entry. I confess to the spelling Police that I meant to write 'lose', note 'loose'. The connections between my brain and right fourth finger have been retested. I can assure all readers that this is not likely to occur again. My apologies
Admin  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2004 13:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige Someone told me that they saw an artical in one of the H&S publications. A job vacancy was advertised: - A H&S advisor/officer is required to provide information to xxxx company management. The working hours are 20 per week and the benefits include a final salary pension, company car worth up to £50k and expenses. The salary is i'r'o' £100k per annum. A sense of humour essential. Apparently there were no applicants!