Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2004 19:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Broomfield
This would almost be funny if it was not so unbelievable. We have just had a new kitchen installed for staff use. Before it's use comenced I went to give it what I believed would be a quick once over and was staggered to find that the contractor had decided (without consultation) to move the switch for the cooker, this has been positioned on the bottom shelf of one of the base units directly under the fill hose for the dishwasher and the sink waste, alongside this is a double socket where the dishwasher is plugged in!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2004 22:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller
Might be worth checking his credentials! Ask for the certificate of competence and compliance as per the IEE regulations.

On a similar note, One of my neighbours had a new kitchen fitted recently and being an ex building inspector I was invited in to assess the work and give my opinion. They looked so proud of what seemed on the face of it a good job wll done.

However, I was stunned to see that all the underbench fused spurs and electrics had been installed onto the shelves and gables of the units. There was cheese blocks everywhere. The whole job was a nightmare. You can imagine how they felt when I gave them the full story. Fortunately they had at that point only paid an initial deposit and he was coming round the next day for the remainder. The rest was very ugly!!!!!

MIke
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2004 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J M Punter
Am I alone in thinking that the previous suggestion of checking credentials is a little bit like closing the stable door after the horse has crossed the finishing line???

Surely initial contractor assessments and continual monitoring throughout the job are key to safe and successful completion of works.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2004 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
I have a similar situation. I picked the cheap survey when we bought our house as it was only a few years old.

My Dad (ex-teacher of plumbing & heating, now inspector for the Housing Executive) recently came to service the boiler.

He noted the following:

1) The boiler was fitted with the wrong explosion relief valve.
2) The oil tank is too close to the boiler.
3) He thinks, but has to check, that the oil tank is too close to the boundary fence.
4) All of the thermostatic valves on the radiators are fitted wrongly (if you put them at the hot end you have to put them on their side so they don't pick up heat from the radiator, but if they go on the cold end they can be upright).

I would never have known. I have not yet said to any of our neighbours or had the chance to phone the builder but it is likely that all 50+ houses in the development have the same faults...

Karen
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2004 18:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman
1. I do hope you checked his credentials before the contract was awarded.

2. I do hope he provided a plan of the proposed installation, which you checked and approved.

3. If neither 1 nor 2 applies - you have a problem

Buyer beware

Merv Newman