Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2004 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Derek Rooney MIOSH MIIRSM no - not the one with Will Smith - the American one. A group in Head Office who seem to be some form of morale boosting club have decided they'd like to celebrate this in July. Firstly - I thought we lost! Secondly they want to know what the safety implications, insurance etc etc might be. Have any of you ever had to look at similar sorts of events before? They are looking at barbecues, hay bales to sit on, plastic patio tables and chairs etc. Besides praying for rain or aliens - any ideas on where to start!? Obviously hay and barbecues may not go well together, there might be liability issues around food poisoning, (I guess the cooks should have food hygiene training/certificates - basic or essential?). Etc. Any pointers would be appreciated. thanks very much Dez
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2004 14:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By J M Punter Somebody shout Jeremy Clarkson - quickly... This is where safety goes mad and can soon be seen as a white elephant. Imagine staff getting wind of the fact - I can see the points being made but sometimes it's nice to just let our hair down isn't it? Just arrange it so that employees aren't actually at work on the day - use it solely as a social event and get them to do the cooking etc. My idea may seem a little maverick, but we all do these things at home without (much) damage.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2004 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Derek, I trust that your morale boosting colleagues are celebrating St George's day with equal enthusiasm? Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2004 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie Log your vote to recognise St George's day as a bank holiday at: http://www.stgeorgesday.com
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2004 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Derek, Unfortunately you need to risk assess the issues you have identified and more. As always, so long as you put into place sensible risk controls you should be able to have a great day. Whilst agreeing with some of Mr Punter's sentiments, you had best ignore him. His views don't match current law - it' a work activity however you try to spin it (I can provide references to prosecutions where the defence tried the "not at work" option). Nor does he have any idea of accident statistics; a quick glance will show how many accidents happen at these events, at home. Believe me, a child with 60% burns is no laughing matter.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2004 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Why do you suggest we lost? Well shot of them if you ask me.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2004 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Derek, As an aside - I was at my parents house for a barbeque. I came back outside from taking my Dad in some food, to be confronted by a trail of fire down the back garden and everyone rolling about laughing. It was a long thin perfectly straight line of fire, about 40ft long, and I was somewhat perplexed as a) I couldn't believe my eyes, and b) I couldn't figure out how it had happened. My wee bro had a mixing bottle of petrol/oil for his chainsaw. He decided to pour some of this on the barbeque as it wasn't going that well. The bottle caught, he jammed the lid back on it and threw it away from himself down the garden. However, the lid wasn't on properly, and as the bottle flew through the air, it drizzled lit fuel down below its flight path. It was like something out of Back to the Future! Karen
Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 April 2004 20:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie It was surely Brits that won? It's just that after they won they started calling themselves Americans! Laurie