Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2004 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By james mackie like most companies we have a digital camera available but are digital photos accepted as evidence in the event of an accident for example? many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2004 19:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman Sorry james but digital photos are not acceptable as legal evidence. They are too easy to falsify. Would you like me to show you my photos of you doing naughty things with Britney Spears ? And really I am not joking. If you have ever had your photo appear in the press or a trade mag then it is probably available on the web. A bit of downloading and a moderate retouching programme and you will be FAMOUS. Stick with the kodak brownie. Merv Newman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2004 20:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter James The Police Scientific Development Branch have produced a digital imaging procedure; it might be worth trying to find it using your favourite search engine. Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2004 08:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Atkinson I understood digi photos could be used provided you take contemporanous notes at the time the photo was taken describing the content and signed, dated, countersigned etc. One has to ask if it is worth the effort and I would therefore advise you use the digi for routine work (e.g. illustrating risk assessments, SSW's etc) but you should also have a cheap disposable 35mm camera for use under potentially forensic circumstances
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2004 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Craige "Would you like me to show you my photos of you doing naughty things with Britney Spears ?" Could you please show some photos of ME doing naughty things with Britney Spears? I want to show my mates. I told them about it and they didn't believe me.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2004 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan All photographs can be manipulated, digital or otherwise. Scan a 35mm photo and you can then change it to your hearts content. So unless you are going to present the court with the negative and ask them to produce their own print, there is not much difference. The bottom line is someone has to verify that the photo is a true likeness.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2004 22:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mork Sorry Merv Those digital images that the Police have of you may be admissable as evidence, see: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/docs/digimpro.pdf
Admin  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2004 07:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood That procedure makes very interesting reading. Thanks for highlighting it to us. From it I would think that we can all produce a satisfactory procedure for the use of digital photographs in accident investigation and similar instances. Remember, a photograph is rarely the lynch-pin of your evidence, normally it is just used to set the scene so that witness statements etc can be more easily understood. Personally I keep a disposable in the top drawer for serious accidents, because digital technology is not accepted by all yet, but that is the route we are going down, and sooner or later we will all have to accept that digital imaging is now the norm and develop procedures for ensuring its integrity. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2004 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart C Digital Photos ARE admissable in evidence provided the same rules of continuity of evidence that are applied to other evidence are followed. Evidence can be falsified for all sorts of things inclding documents, video footage and photos taken by conventional cameras. There is no legal reason why digital cameras can not be used.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2004 22:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mork So the Home Office didn't waste their time then!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2004 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Ayee See also the posting and discussion from May 2002 http://www.iosh.co.uk/in...rum=1&thread=2788&page=1