Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2004 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas Dear all, I would like some advice with regards to Insurance and workplaces, here is the scenario: I work at "X", Company starts to grow and successfully bids "Y" & "Z". Company rejects my business plan run "Y" & "Z" as a regional role, but cannot not get someone to do the same job as me in "Y" "Y" is close to opening date, but staff have not recieved Fire or Health & Safety Training, company gives me a list of training dates and expects me to undertake these: 1. Where do I stand on the insurance side i.e. driving from MY place of work "X" to the new place to deliver training "Y" Am I covered under the companies Insurance and what about my car insurance. 2. Are they taking the P*** as this is not in my job description. Also they are going to pay the new person in "Y" if they get someone!!! The same salary as me and are willing to take someone who is not qualified but willing to work towards a NEBOSH Qualification, I have been with the company 3 years, I have IOSH Managing Safely, NEBOSH Certificate and have just submitted my portfolio for NVQ Level 4 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. Any thoughts...
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2004 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david cairns Hi Rod any chance you could contact me via email please. regards D
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2004 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Rod, If you are using your own car for travel to and from your house to X or Y I think this is covered as commuting under social, domestic and pleasure use. However, if you start to travel between X and Y then I think you need your car insured for business use. There was a thread some time ago about insuring your car for business use, and there are different classes of business use. I have mine insured for business use and it cost me only another £20 or £30 to get that added. I understand that some companies cover the first so many miles FOC. Have a word with your insurance broker. And make sure they pay you the mileage rate approved by the Inland Revenue - if they pay you any more you will have to pay tax on the difference, if they pay you less you can put in a claim for tax relief. Could you say that you will temporarily take on the H&S responsibilities for Y, but you would require additional money to compensate for your additional responsibilities? Wait and see the calibre of the person they get for Y - you might be pleasantly suprised. Then, if you still feel it is unfair that they get paid the same salary as you, you will have to justify your worth - or let your feet do the talking! Karen
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 April 2004 14:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kelvin Hughes Rod. It is my understanding that you are NOT insured to drive your car ‘whilst at work’. Most policies are for ‘social, domestic and pleasure’ use only e.g. driving to and from your place of work is included in this. You should contact your insurance company to ask them to supply you in writing, if you are insured or not, for driving your car whilst at work. If you are not insured, then get your company to supply you with the suitable transport needed for you to fulfil their requirements, which are not included in your contract of employment. One other thing is, your company are not likely to pay up if you are involved in an accident or have a puncture that ends up with you having to replace a tyre, or pay for the servicing to your car due to the additional mileage. Regards Kelvin
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2004 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By david cairns HI Rod i got your post on NVQ4 i can not see your email address as it is not visible to others, here is mine if you could contact me sorry for any inconvenience. dingbat_cairns@hotmail.com regards Dingbat
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2004 19:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JOHN.MURPHY Rod or David could you's please contact me please ?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2004 07:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Basically I would start looking around for another job! Regards Gavin
Admin  
#8 Posted : 30 April 2004 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eric Burt Rod If you are taking on extra responsibility for "Y" then take a read of section 37 HASAWA, then put this to your company to show that extra responsibility should equate to extra remuneration. Regards, Eric