Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2004 20:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Mannings
We have planning permision for a substantial rebuild on our existing works site and are going out to design,via achitect etc. and builders.

As we will be operating the site normally whilst the new build is happening, would I, as the H & S officer, be responsible for site safety?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell
I assume from the phrase 'substantial rebuilding' that the project falls within the CDM Regulations.
The Planning Superviser is responsible for preparing the pre-tender Health & Safety Plan, which is essentially a collection of information about the significant health and safety risks of the construction project which the Principal Contractor will have to manage during the construction phase.
The contents of the pre-tender Health & Safety Plan will depend on the nature of the project, however the following ares should be considered:
Nature of the project
The existing environment
Existing drawings
The design
Construction materials
Positioning of site access/egress, location of unloading, layout and storage areas, traffic routes, etc.
Overlap with the clients undertaking
Site rules, emergency procedures, permit to work, etc.

Further guidance is available, from the HSE, on the roles and duties under the CDM Regulations. Hope this helps.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2004 19:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
My understanding is that unless you appoint a "client" to act on your (i.e. your company's) behalf, and have received a letter from HSE acknowledging that appointment, you, as the client, remain responsible, even if you totally hand over the site and are therefore technically not "in control" of the site.

On a number of occasions I would have liked nothing better than to have handed over responsibility to such a "client" but my employer was never willing to pay the extra fees required!

Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2004 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
In addition to your existing work, you will also have an interest in how the construction works will affect the health and safety of your undertaking and how the new buildings will affect it - particularly with regard to future cleaning and maintenance. In your position, I would: liaise with the appointed Planning Supervisor; get consulted in the preparation of the Pre-tender Health and Safety Plan; attend related meetings; exchange H&S information as needed; advise the employer on design issues affecting H&S; monitor the Principal Contractor's performance as it may affect the undertaking; etc. What you actually do will depend upon: your job description; what your employer asks you to do; what happens during the works; whether areas are ring-fenced to the Principal Contractor; whether there are shared working areas; etc. It can all help to make the job even more interesting.