Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2004 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Corrina Evans Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is specific legislation regarding overloading of gang sockets? It seems extention leads with gang sockets are the norm these days in the office environment.I know you aren't meant to overload them, but I wondered if there is anything else I need to be aware of apart from the usual-PAT,visual inspection and BS1363? Corrina Evans
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2004 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt In short, yes. The Electricity at Work Regs 1989, reg 5 'No electrical equipment shall be put into use where its strength and capability may be exceeded in such a way as may give rise to danger' In the guidance they do point out that the rated current may not represent the cut off point between safety and danger, but they do specifically recommend that equipment be used within the manufacturer's rating. Thus overloading sockets is a very bad idea (you may end up burning the building down if you are not careful). Jane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2004 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin The other problem with gang sockets is that people tend to daisy chainm them so that 1 extension is plugged in to another - we have instructed people that this is not acceptable.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2004 08:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Daisy chaining is a problem because you are reliant for the safety earth on a series of conductors and connections, the failure of one could leave many appliances unprotected. The use of ganged sockets does seem to encourage a birds nest of wires to form behind the desk where the socket is normally dumped. Coiling, tangling and knotting of cables reduces there maximum current carrying capability as well as physically stressing the cables. Stressing cables may cause internal fracturing or thinning of the conductor cores and thus points of high resistance within the cable. These points may become hot-spots within the cables and they would be a potential fire risk. All that said, they are perfectly safe if used properly within their design paramters. If fitted with the correct fuse for the cable rating, tested at the appropriate intervals and inspected regularly before use then there is nothing inherently wrong with them. They have a harder life than your average appliance so would usually be tested more frequently. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics