Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2004 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john martin I require some advice on how to determine what fuse is needed for what portable applience. a rough guide. Are computer leads always a five amp fuse, how about sandwhich toasters and other kitchen equiptment. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2004 15:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AL John, You want ohms law, watts/volt = amps AL
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john martin thank you. But if i don't know the wattage of a peice of equipment is there a standard code or some simple guide lines to follow?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2004 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Every appliance has a rating label, or should have, showing the power consumption in watts (W) or in kilowatts (kW). One kilowatt = 1000 watts. Simply divide this figure by 240 to get an approximation of the current consumption of the unit in amps (A). Your fuse should be the closest ABOVE this value. Fuses for standard mains plugs come in 3,5 and 13A. There are other values available but these are the common ones. The instructions supplied with the appliance should be heeded in all cases, but if they are not available then; Appliance 600W or less use a 3A fuse Appliance 600-1000W use a 5A fuse Appliance over 1000W use a 13A fuse Fuses and their ratings are a complex issue but the above guide should suffice for most purposes. Remember the purpose of a fuse is to protect the cable from overload and the resulting fire, not to protect the appliance from damage. Fuses MUST always be replaced with the correct value to ensure the integrity of this protection and user safety. *****For those who have mistaken this forum for an episode of University Challenge, I know the mains voltage changed to 230V some time ago, but that figure is nominal and 240V is common and remains a reasonable approximation in this instance and for this purpose. Those who have mistaken the forum for an episode of Countdown may still pick my spelling to bits though - I appreciate the educational service you offer :-)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2004 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Sorry John, the previous posts were made while I was still writing mine! Is there any label on the item, if so what does it say? Alec Wood Samsing Electronics
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2004 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By john martin Thanks thats a great help. some of the appliances don't hanve a wattage rating on them so i can't always find the fuse required.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2004 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murgatroyd For the convenience of users, appliance manufacturers have standardised on two plug fuse ratings- 3A & 13A and adopted appropriate flex sizes. For appliances up to 700W a 3A fuse is used, for those over 700W a 13A fuse is used. The fuse in the plug is not fitted to protect the appliance, although in practice it often does this. Appliances are generally designed to European standards for use throughout Europe. In most countries the plug is unfused. If an appliance needs a fuse to comply with the standard it must be fitted within the appliance. The fuse in the plug protects against faults in the flex and can allow the use of a reduced csa flexible cable. Generally, cable of .75mm cs would be 3A and cable of 1.0mm cs would be 13A. The cable size should be marked on the cable.