Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 07:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julian Campbell
I have recently passed my NEBOSH general cert and Ive been asked to complete a full risk assesment of all equipment within a food manufacturing environment... A little daunting right now. Any tips on the best way to do it, any templates I could use. Any help at all really

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sean Fraser
Best approach is team oriented - this must include those who work with the equipment as they have the most knowledge on the process, the problems and the maintenance / certification requirements. And after all, they are the ones who will benefit most from the Risk Assessment activity! Also, remember that the RA is simply a tool - it is not the end result in itself but a means to an end. Once completed, you will still need to take appropriate actions under the hierarchy of control to remove hazards, substitute them with less harmful hazards and to adequately control what remains. Remember to include everything that affects the use of the equipment - normal operations (doing what it is meant to do), abnormal operations (infrequent operations and maintenance / servicing / certification), emergency operations (fire, flood, collapse etc.). Key to any operation is the operator - always make sure they are critical considerations throughout the assessment.

Assess the process in a step by step manner if possible - draw in peripheral activities and be conscious that the operation may affect or be affected by other activities in the area, either directly or indirectly. Make sure you include activities that feed into and are fed by the process i.e. fetching materiel necessary to operate the equipment, so manual handling and safety issues may arise that have not previously been considered. And always consider COSHH requirements that may be involved - a separate assessment may be indicated purely on COSHH.

Be aware of the results of other Risk Assessments and take their results into consideration - avoid duplication and especially contradiction.

Finally, once complete, ensure that the actions identified by the assessment are actually put in place!

An excellent guide on Task Risk Assessments is available on the Step Change website - follow the link below and click on "Publications Index", then look up "Task Risk Assessment Guide". You may also find the associated presentation of interest. The guide provides a general matrix template that you could adopt, and I am sending you by separate e-mail the RA template (excel) that we use which aligns with this guide.

http://step.steel-sci.or...main_publications_fs.htm

Good luck!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2004 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
It can be useful to check the manufacturers' literature/manuals (if still available). Their 'dos' and 'don'ts' are a guide to the hazards that they have envisaged and can be added to those discovered from consultation, observation, accident and defect reports, etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2004 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd
Hello Julian,

HSE(NI) have produced a booklet called "Risk Assessment Simplified" which I have e-mailed to you.

It has in it tables for Hazard Identification and Risk Evaluation and an action plan, along with a useful hazard checklist to prompt you.

Karen

Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Julian

Have a look at

http://www.web-safety.com/freesm/

You will find a link to risk assessemnt that gives a simplified apporach to the topic (plus the forms to fill in). Also we have a online learning package for Operational Analysis and Control. This is an action learning program, stepping you through the first stages of the risk assessment process. You can access this at;

http://www.confinedspaces.com/oac/index.htm

Finally there is a 3 page explanation of the OAC process for download at the following link;

http://www.web-safety.com/Exchange/Papers/ISSA.doc

Good luck.

Ciaran
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2004 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston
Hey Julian,

Great advice above that I will take note of also, but just for added information if you need any more, this tool from Leeds City Council has some excellent tips......

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/risk/frames.htm

Best regards,

John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2004 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Julian Campbell
Thank you everybody for replying to my call for help. I am now feeling ready to complete my mission.

Julian