Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2004 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pauline Burrell
Can anyone give me any information or direct me to any available regulations/legislation governing the use of razor wire?

Any help would be appreciated

Pauline
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2004 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan
The Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999 provide an ergonomic perspective on hazard identification and control through interface design and management; it applies to razor wire as much as to any other hazard.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2004 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Pauline,

You may use this stuff as a 'deterent' to prevent unlawful visitors access to your premises etc however it must not be placed or used in such a manner so that it 'deliberately' and foreseeably causes injury, ie a 'man trap'.

for instance you can put it on top of a fence in full view but cannot hide it in the grass behind so that when a burglar jumps over the fence he becomes entangled.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2004 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pauline Burrell
Dave

I've also had a response which suggests that installations should not be below 2.4m above ground level. Are you aware of any regulations or legislation that relates to any of this. I need to show a contractor responsible for Estate Management that there use of razor wire is incorrect?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2004 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rod Douglas
Pauline,

Totaly, agree with David, one other thing you will be required to display is a disclaimer informing people that it is dangerous to climb high fences that are fitted with razor wire.

Aye,

Rod
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2004 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson
Sorry dont know!

it may be that there is a BSEN on this bit certainly dont know of any 'specific' if you have 'barbour index' you may be able to find it.

Know this may be daft but what about looking on the 'packet' it comes in or ask the manufacturer?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2004 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Hunter
I've been led to believe that there is specific legislation covering this issue, but can't find it! Can I suggest that your local crime prevention officer (CPO) might be worth a try?
Agree that use is only permitted above a certain height, although I thought it was 2.8 metres (+ warning signs are required, Occupiers Liability applies).
Personally, I would discourage its use altogether - find a safer way of protecting the premises.
Nast stuff razor wire, and I'd like to see the risk assessment from the installation company!!!!